• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

large hinges on bed side

randygk

Been looking for a 5 ton and noticed one for sale on EBay in SoCal. Any idea what the large hinges are on the outside of one side of the bed only?
Thanks

wsucougarx

Hmm, good question. I've never seen anything like that before. I noticed they're only on the starboard side. Now I'm really curious. Beautiful truck BTW.

Last edited:

panshark

could they be for cargo straps? If the Ebay seller knew...you should ask him the question through Ebay. Maybe it's a recovery expeditor rig, for those who like to turn trucks onto their side. :)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the picture, that particular truck has troop seats on it. You can see that the top two rails are turned around like quickfarms said, and you can see that they are attached to the stave, but the rest are not, indicating troop seats that need to ba able to fold down.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what ever the parts on the side of the are, think that is just the storage spot, blow the pic up, looks like a 1/2" retaining pin, at least what it looks to me. COULD they be part of the troop seat setup

gunboy1656

Why would you need an awning in a truck that was not designed to carry troops? There are no troop seats in a XLwheelbase 5 ton.
Just cause the truck does not carry troops, does not mean you could not use a cover for when it is stationary. As in a maintenance truck.

Wonder if there is not another truck somewhere that has these on the opposite side?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a fixed bed not a drop side or an iso. The TM's on the m939 does show that some had fixed beds and as we know, the vast majority are drop side with much smaller numbers of USMC/Navy using iso beds.

Interesting attachments for hold down though.

Csm Davis

Okay I have seen these before on a 814 at a yard at Shelby they are super heavy duty and they pin down and up but never did figure out what they are for and yes they were on the passenger side only, don't believe they are to hold tent poles. Maybe some sort of loading poles, just my guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks