• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Larger fuel tank for the m1009- Aero tank or Suburban tank

Gunfighter1

I'm looking to put a larger fuel tank in my m1009. About the only options i see are the Aerotank 40 gallon tank. Pricey but nice to have a 40 gallon capacityhttp://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/chevy.html, and the 31 gallon Suburban tank that's about half the price. Is there any other choices out there for larger fuel tanks? Ive thought about putting an auxiliary tank in the back but don't want to lose the cargo space. Is the suburban tank a direct swap for the factory one?

86m1028

Suburban tank won't fit (burb tank is too long).

Edit: I just looked at their website.
I don't see how one model can cover such a broad range of years & models !!!

Last edited:

Gunfighter1

Suburban tank won't fit (both are too long).

Edit: I just looked at their website.
I don't see how one model can cover such a broad range of years & models !!!
****it :mad: So much for that idea. Is there any other options for a larger capacity fuel tank or am i stuck with what i got?

Skinny

I think the tank dimensions for the 73' and later rigs are all interchangeable tank for tank, the filler neck is smaller on pre 85'ish models. I think they went from 1 1/2" to 1 5/8", I would double check the numbers though. LMC and RockAuto can confirm that. I believe the difference between the 31 and 40 gallon burb tanks is the depth and not the length and width. You probably are better off just using cans mounted somewhere or some type of aux tank over the wheel well if you are comfortable with that.

Gunfighter1

I think the tank dimensions for the 73' and later rigs are all interchangeable tank for tank, the filler neck is smaller on pre 85'ish models. I think they went from 1 1/2" to 1 5/8", I would double check the numbers though. LMC and RockAuto can confirm that. I believe the difference between the 31 and 40 gallon burb tanks is the depth and not the length and width. You probably are better off just using cans mounted somewhere or some type of aux tank over the wheel well if you are comfortable with that.
According to LMC sight the burb tanks are abut 6 inches longer than the Blazer tanks. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=57
Im going to contact Aero and ask for the dimensions of theirs. I dont have room over the wheel wells because i have a roll cage and bars run above the wheel wells that takes up the space there. Ive thought about an auxiliary tank behind the seats but need to find one that wont take up to much cargo space and then id have to figure out the plumbing of the two together. Guess theres not to much of an easy answer for this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a system I sometimes use. I'm working on a more permanent install. Adding a 5 gallon can to the back or for the blazer, even on a removable mount on the bumper so it's outside. I use a small electric pump and transfer the contents of a 5 gallon can going down the road. I did this for a convoy going to the GA Rally back a few year ago. It increased the range of my M1008 so that I could do my stops with the rest of the convoy. I have the parts to plum in with quick connects and such so that I can either use a can or a transfer tank.

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw some in the classified 50 bucks is a cheap solution if you could make them fit.
Not sure if we are allowed to post classified links but this might help you.
Fuel Tank & Kit, HUMMER HUMVEE HMMWV M998, NSN 2910-01-447-3911, Brand New $50
Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks