• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Largest battery combinations? M1028

Droolguy

My batteries are toast, looking to buy a set of new ones.

I know most people use group 31 or group 34 batteries which easily fit on the battery trays.

My question is will military 6T style batteries fit the trays? Looking at their design I am almost willing to bet that it's what they come with stock and everyone just throws cheap batteries in from then on when those fail, but I could be wrong.

My other question is this, reading around it seems that people are fitting two standard car batteries on one tray and removing the extra tray. Some say they need to modify the tray to fit others say they don't.

Anyone know which is which?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking about doing two 6T's or four group 31-34 batteries if they fit.

Why so many? Because... https://i.imgur.com/uTAlQeL.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2- 6TL's is what the military used . I would stay with 2 batteries over 4 , it will save on headaches later.

Droolguy

That was the answer I was hoping for anyway.

2 6TL's have more CCA and reserve than 4 31-34s anyway, plus their service life is a *LOT* longer.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is plugged in there is no reason it shouldn't fire right up? So why do you need so much battery if you can plug it in?
Karl

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6TLs are what the trucks left factory with.
They will fit and work great.

CDFF19EC-7F1E-4CD9-8DFF-D817E55A91A3.jpg
Only pic I could find showing both battery’s in my truck.

Droolguy

The truck is plugged in there is no reason it shouldn't fire right up? So why do you need so much battery if you can plug it in?
Karl
Because it is not always parked at my house plugged in, and I don't always have time to plug it in and wait 2-4 hours to try and start it.

We hit negative temperatures here and it really makes standard batteries struggle.

Matt5

Banned
Picture show ice, means above freezing, I never had any issues starting even down to -15f and that was using take out 31's... oh and with out plugging in. If you have starting issues you want to look into that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Droolguy

Picture show ice, means above freezing, I never had any issues starting even down to -15f and that was using take out 31's... oh and with out plugging in. If you have starting issues you want to look into that.
Situational awareness my man. Look closer (at the bright orange power cable), it's actually in the middle of the day at 8 degrees F in that picture, but the block heater is plugged in so the snow is melting on the hood and immediately freezing.

That's impressive that your truck doesn't have issues at -15, but that's far from normal for these trucks which are famously hard to start when cold. It hit's close to those temperatures overnight here and in the morning if I don't plug (or leave it plugged in overnight) in I can literally crank the batteries almost dead before it will start.

I've got 70k miles though and no rebuild, so I am quite sure my compression numbers are down and the glowplugs while working are old.

Droolguy

Those are 6TL Batts. OP was looking for AGM batteries. I think those are 6TMF Batts. OD Iron ran 4 Napa AGM Batts in his CUCV. His were clones to Optimas. I've had the same 2 optima batteries in my SECM for about 8 years.
That's why I asked originally, I have a NAPA right across the street and picking up a few AGM batteries is as simple as walking 400 feet. With the prices I am looking at right now I may just pick up two yellow tops to get me by. Not sure if I want to spend $1200 right now on batteries.

The Hawker batteries are 6TAGM, if he has the batteries I think he has.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Optima Spiral Cell batteries have very large surface area which is why they have great current output for the weight. They are much lower weight which means less reserve. Yes, great CCA but after 30 seconds of pre-glow, there might not be enough capacity left to crank for 30 seconds.

AGM have thinner plates than flooded cell with greater surface area. But to resist vibration, the plates are thicker than Optima so less CCA but more reserve.

For cold weather operation, proper glow plug operation is a must. As is a fuel system with no leaks. An electric fuel pump may be of benefit, if only operating during starting.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much did yours cost? Right now best I can find is almost $600 for AGM each, so $1200k for batteries total.
https://www.powerstridebattery.com/...ty-commercial-battery-pc2250mt-marine-battery
The Hawker and Odyssey 6AGMs are the best on the market.
Same price range as you’ve already found out.
My Hawkers are almost 4 years old and still solid.
You definitely get what you pay for in battery’s.

When I had my 5 ton, I did get 4 of the $200 6TLs and they worked fine.
Checking the battery water level was a pain.
Will not get them again. Will stay with the AGMs.

Optima makes an adapter that has the same footprint of the 6TL/AGM battery.
Also makes the optima battery height the same as a 6T so the factory trays and hold downs work.
Makes for a clean look and no install issues.
They are Hard to find.
I will go that route when my Hawkers are done.

A lot of guys rig up all sorts of battery configurations.
I prefer the stock setup.
Overkill........??.....probably to most.

I would rather have too much battery than not enough.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Hawker and Odyssey 6AGMs are the best on the market.
Same price range as you’ve already found out.
My Hawkers are almost 4 years old and still solid.
You definitely get what you pay for in battery’s.

When I had my 5 ton, I did get 4 of the $200 6TLs and they worked fine.
Checking the battery water level was a pain.
Will not get them again. Will stay with the AGMs.

Optima makes an adapter that has the same footprint of the 6TL/AGM battery.
Also makes the optima battery height the same as a 6T so the factory trays and hold downs work.
Makes for a clean look and no install issues.
They are Hard to find.
I will go that route when my Hawkers are done.

A lot of guys rig up all sorts of battery configurations.
I prefer the stock setup.
Overkill........??.....probably to most.

I would rather have too much battery than not enough.
Check with James (TheBigOldSarge). I spoke with him a few weeks ago and he had the optima adapters.

Last edited:

Jericho

I run Interstate 1200 cca batteries , 2 ea in each of my trucks for 2200 CCA , stop by your local distributor and get measured up.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted 4 batteries in my M1008, 2 on each tray. It was good until the tray mounts started cracking the fender. I relocated the 4 batteries in the bed. I ran 4 batteries because a had a 2000 watt inverter to power stuff with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks