• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Largest dual tires for 5 ton?

290smallcam

But hate to lose ground clearance. I've found that the goodyear 12:00R20's will fit and not rub. Does anyone make a larger say 13-14 inch that is skinny enough so they don't rub? Checked the forums but everything is about super signles or G177's.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the look! And there 14's... Do you know the model or type? They look like XML's.
Pictured are 14.00 XL's, known for catastrophic failure without warning.

I believe to run 14.00s dualled you're going to need wheels with a different offset.

My personal opinion is the width legal aggravation isn't worth the trouble. I guess it all depends on where and how you're going to be driving it.

If the snow situation warrants dualled 14.00's, why not just go with chains on super singles?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I previously read a military report from the 50s on the super singles. Recall that the military tried singles in the 50s on 2-1/2 and 5 ton trucks while simultaneously also using duals on the same trucks. The singles were actually deemed superior to the duals off-road in both mud and snow. However, the duals were deemed more stable and had better carrying characteristics. For whatever reason, stability and carrying capacity ruled the day. Super singles did not really make a comeback until the 80s with the M939A1 series trucks. After that, the USMC began retrofitting the M809 series trucks with singles. I wish I could remember where I read this. I am betting that someone else will recall this report, possibly (probably) even David Doyle.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictured are 14.00 XL's, known for catastrophic failure without warning.

I believe to run 14.00s dualled you're going to need wheels with a different offset.

My personal opinion is the width legal aggravation isn't worth the trouble. I guess it all depends on where and how you're going to be driving it.

If the snow situation warrants dualled 14.00's, why not just go with chains on super singles?
...and I concur with the chains suggestion. I used to have an M125 ten ton cargo. It was not the greatest in snow. One time, I attempted to blast through drifts of up to 4 feet with regular snow in the 24-32 inch range. The truck made it, but it took a lot of backing up and forging ahead. I got out once to check on my progress (after I backed up following a pass) and noted that the rear duals had to break much of their own trail through the snow, thereby slowing the truck down. Dual 1400s present a pretty wide cut through the snow. It takes a lot to smash down serious amounts of snow. Singles will generally follow in the path of the front tires, except when turning.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the multitude of posts, but I have a lot of thoughts on this. About five years ago, it snowed about 34 inches in my area, with more in drifts. I took my M925A2 out and it pulled it's way through the snow up and down paved hills. I have a video somewhere. I'll try to locate it on an old phone (don't hold your breath, though). While I was impressed with the truck's ability to make it through the snow, it did scare the hell out of me given I was by myself and would have had a hell of a time digging the truck out had I gotten stuck.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super singles did not really make a comeback until the 80s with the M939A1 series trucks. After that, the USMC began retrofitting the M809 series trucks with singles.
Since it's related, here is a press-release from AM General in June 1981 (page 2 of 4) showing an M809 factory test truck with super singles!

20210819_182520.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These pics are from a thread on this forum and I wish I could remember which member has this truck but they're dulled 14.00-20s and I think they were over width just like 98G mentioned.

View attachment 842859
View attachment 842860
Those spades are NO JOKE on that truck! Wonder if that is Factory?

SO, looking at those tires the rims almost look like they are too narrow for the tires that are mounted on them. Might just be my imagination, but my 1100:20's appear more "straight sided" than these 1400's. Is that possible? Did somebody else see that?

I sure would like to see more and better pictures of that truck!
REALLY neat looking and maybe even to talk to the person.
Couple of really nice wrecker features there for sure!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those spades are NO JOKE on that truck! Wonder if that is Factory?

SO, looking at those tires the rims almost look like they are too narrow for the tires that are mounted on them. Might just be my imagination, but my 1100:20's appear more "straight sided" than these 1400's. Is that possible? Did somebody else see that?

I sure would like to see more and better pictures of that truck!
REALLY neat looking and maybe even to talk to the person.
Couple of really nice wrecker features there for sure!
OK, found the original thread by member lighten here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/m816-14-00-duals.184397/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks