• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Largest nut size on a Deuce?

ZRacer

Hey guys,

After buying this truck, it is obvious that I am going to need some larger wrenches and sockets than I currently own.

What's the largest nut size on the Deuce?

Do you think 3/4" drive is big enough or do I need some 1" drive sockets?

ZRacer

To replace the inner axle seal you will need a 3" 8 sided bearing socket and 1' 1/2" socket.
I already bought the 3" bearing socket at NAPA (luckily, I haven't needed to use it yet!). Dang thing was expensive though! $56!!!

So nothing larger than 1 1/2"? Sounds like I might be able to get away with the 3/4" drive with that.

sethnagy

I could not resist . . . that was my first post on this great site.

I guess I should really try to be helpful . . . I've replaced the seals on one of my rear hubs. I used an adjustable basin wrench because I did not have a 3 inch socket. To seat the bearings and the outer nut I tapped the wrench handle with a hammer.

Everything else 3/4 inch drive has be big enough. Hope this helps.

Attachments

ZRacer

I could not resist . . . that was my first post on this great site.

I guess I should really try to be helpful . . . I've replaced the seals on one of my rear hubs. I used an adjustable basin wrench because I did not have a 3 inch socket. To seat the bearings and the outer nut I tapped the wrench handle with a hammer.

Okay - thanks for the more "helpful" post! [thumbzup]

You're forgiven... :mrgreen: :beer:

mcmullag

I think you will be surprised to learn that most of your tinkering and maintenance will involve sockets and wrenches that are rather smaller than one would think for this size truck. I get out the half inch drive ratchet to check fluid levels on the axles, etc but many things can be done with 3/8 drive ratchets and sockets, and open end wrenches ranging from 7/16" to 3/4". 2cents

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a lot of it covered the largest I have need so far is the 3 inch socket for the axle nut I also use a 3/4 in breaker bar for most of the stuff but I did buy a longer 3/4 in sliding T handle for the lug nuts and I put a 3 foot cheater bar on that. You may at some time want a torque wrench that will go to 500 ft pounds or better but its been my experience most of the stuff including lug nuts does not have to be torqued as tight at that TMs say and there might be lots of people who dissagree with this. I dont haul much and do not exceed 50 mph with my truck have fun and drive it a lot you are going to like it very much
KK

renovate7

I bought a set of 6 wrenches, up to 2," at Harbor Freight. The bolts that hold the bed on are big. I also bought a set of hardened sockets, 1/2"drive, for the impact gun that go up to 1 1/2". Those plus a standard set of wrenches up to 1 1/4", and 3/8" and 1/2" socket sets and I've been OK.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

as a last resort i used a 24 inch pipe wrench to break the axel nuts free the 3 inch socket just keep coming off it appeared someone over tightened them before they went to DRMO it had new bearings with no grease on both hubs and enough silicone on the axels to glue it to the seals

x-ray

I have gotten by with 1/2 & 3/8 sets and breaker bars so far, buying individual larger sockets when needed - you can use a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter. Also have a 1 inch impact wrench - but that is probably overkill.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got two sets of 3/4 inch impact sockets up to 1 1/2 inch in size, so far cover everything I need. I bought the 3 inch socket from Snap On, for 36 bucks brand new. The 24 volt impact wrenches that plug into the socket on the cab are 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. I'd say a standard tool set, any manufacturer, that covers 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch sockets is the way to go. I say manufacturer doesn't really matter, not to start a furball, but because experience will tell in the long run whats best for each individual mechanic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks