• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Largest tire size with chains.

mt4x4

I have done some searching and i cant find much on the largest tire size where i can still use tire chains on a M35A2. I also don't want to just barely get by. The truck is 100% stock right now. Does anyone have experience with larger than stock tires and chains?

Stranger

I have 395/85R20 on one of my Deuces and there isn't enough room for standard link chains on the rears. Meaning, if I install standard link chains on one tire it WILL contact the other tire while moving. Installing chains on both is a non starter. They will bind.

12.5R20 (335/80R20) is about the largest diameter you can have and still use chains.

IF you are using cable chains, then there will be enough clearance with the 395/85R20s.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gee
There is LOTS of experiences
You going to Italy mud or something?
Perhaps for low speed and get there with all she will do you just do this
Methinks puts a lot of strain on newer M35 but mud no resistance
It will work, NDT 9x20
duals front + chains mud cckw_mud.jpg

mt4x4

I think i will be changing to the G177's. It looks to me like chains would not work on the inside tires because they could contact the frame. If i chain the 4 outside tires i would meet the minimum requirement for Oregon. I would have a set for the front too so 6 out of 10 should be satisfactory.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think i will be changing to the G177's. It looks to me like chains would not work on the inside tires because they could contact the frame. If i chain the 4 outside tires i would meet the minimum requirement for Oregon. I would have a set for the front too so 6 out of 10 should be satisfactory.
If you run dual 11.00x20 Goodyear G177's in the rear, you are correct, there is no room for chains on the inner tires, you'll likely even have the tire rub the trunnion cap and bolt heads.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...20s-(dualed)&p=1759755&viewfull=1#post1759755

For tire chains, I have purchased the following (my disclaimer is that I've never used them):
Chains: Quick Grip, QG2251
Tensioners/tighteners: QG20073

Two of each of the above (one pair chains and one pair of tensioners) fit snugly inside of a 60mm ammo can (so 3 total ammo cans). They're heavy when loaded though!

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12.5R20 (335/80R20) is about the largest diameter you can have and still use chains.
That is not correct. If we were talking about singles, available as mil. surplus tires, the 14.5R20s (365/80R20), which are standard size for the -A3 version, will leave almost 5" of space between tires (2nd pic, below...).
Also, 365/85R20 will work. With about 45" O.D. there still will be 3"-gap, which should be enough for chains on both rear axles.
Another option would be 12.00R20. (1st pic...)

G.

Attachments

mt4x4

Just when i thought i had it down you guys and to screw it up. Thanks for the reply's and pictures. I don't like the look of the 11x20 singles but the 365/85R 20's look really nice. I wish i could find a 9x20 tire that would do good in snow and ice. I did not enjoy having the ndt tires on ice this last year.

mt4x4

Just when i thought i had it down you guys and to screw it up. Thanks for the reply's and pictures. I don't like the look of the 11x20 singles but the 365/85R 20's look really nice. I wish i could find a 9x20 tire that would do good in snow and ice. I did not enjoy having the ndt tires on ice this last year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks