• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Largest tire w/duals?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I have found alot of info on larger tires but they are mostly in reference to going to singles. I want to go up in tire size but keep the duels AND my stock rims.
From what I have found it looks like 12.5x20 Michelines XL/XZL will work. 11.00x20 would fit better and safer. What will the truck height increase to and who currently has the tires for sale?
I assume I will not have the big loss in power and braking that the trucks with 46"-52" suffer from. I will mostly be going on road and maybe some light off roading once in a while.

emr

For Me 11'00,s are the biggest duels, BUT i would put a larger tire in the front though and have plans for such, ive got the 11'00 michelins on my deuce now, want the 14:50,s for the fronts...Randy

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EMR, any reason for wanting larger tires up front?

So, I could go with 12.5s on stock rims and still be safe, or should I go with 11.00s? Any contraindications or advantages for one or the other? I assume I would get more traction with the 12.5s, but at some loss in power and braking (weight). Sounds like the 11.00 are the way for me to go. Anyone have some contacts for 11 tires within a few hundred miles of central IL.? I assume I need new tubes and flaps as well?

jasonjc

The 12.50R20's are the hight as the 9.00-20's on the truck. The 11.00R20's are like 2" taller. The 12.50R20's will fit on the rims, But there is a chance that they would rub on each other and wear faster. Some have these as duals. And they look ok in the drive way. What they are doing going down the road/trail I do not know. Either tire size will need new radial tubes. Power should be fine as well as braking. The biger ones up front just look better,too me.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all. Anyone have some Michelin (XZL or like) in 11.00x20 in nice shape that they want to sell? I am in need of 11 of them.

DMgunn

The front tires (generally) carry the most weight, and consequently have the highest ground pressure. With duals on the rear, the difference is even greater. On soft or questionable ground, you would benefit greatly from a wider tire on the front to help improve your odds of staying on the surface.

I also agree that they look better. A great example that I believe belongs to Readyman - I feel this is the ultimate setup that could still pass for stock (to the average person).

Attachments

M1075

Re: RE: Largest tire w/duals?

DMgunn said:
I also agree that they look better. A great example that I believe belongs to Readyman - I feel this is the ultimate setup that could still pass for stock (to the average person).
Hey that is my deuce! I ended up selling those wheels and tires to readyman, and I regret that decision to this day. I still believe that is one of the best possible tire setups for a deuce.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Largest tire w/duals?

Readyman sold the deuce with the tires and rims to another member in Michigan. I met him at an event and he is on SS but I forgot his name or screen name.

ems4ty

RE: Re: RE: Largest tire w/duals?

Streetgliderx - I run 11.00x20 on my duece and 9.00x20 on my M105 Trailer. Love the 11.00x20's! The 11's are approx. 42.5" Tall and the 9's are 39.5" Tall. Also, 11's are about 11.5" Wide and the 9's are about 10.5" Wide. These were measurements that I just took off of my truck and trailer.

I used to have 9's on the Deuce but much prefer the 11's. It fills the wheel wells much nicer than the 9's. BTW - I run the non-directional tires.

emr

vtach said:
EMR, any reason for wanting larger tires up front?

So, I could go with 12.5s on stock rims and still be safe, or should I go with 11.00s? Any contraindications or advantages for one or the other? I assume I would get more traction with the 12.5s, but at some loss in power and braking (weight). Sounds like the 11.00 are the way for me to go. Anyone have some contacts for 11 tires within a few hundred miles of central IL.? I assume I need new tubes and flaps as well?

Really just looks , to me it looks cool, and I like to do differnet set ups each year when I can, also I do have an A frame and even though it will never lift anything to heavy it sure would look good with wider tires up front also, now for the ol' 9:00 ndt's I have had 1100 NDT's up front in the past just because the winch and multi and A frame made me feel the front end was well cared for, But now i have the 1100 michelins all the way around, and I have to say they are "IT" for a deuce,

FSBruva

vtach said:
Thanks all. Anyone have some Michelin (XZL or like) in 11.00x20 in nice shape that they want to sell? I am in need of 11 of them.
XZL's haven't been available for many years. 11R20 XL's in good shape are REALLY hard to come by, and usually cost BUCKS when they do. That was one of the reasons for me to single - I wanted better (safer) tires, but there was no way in hell I could afford 11. So, I bought 7.

Most tire manufacturers will provide the minimum dual spacing...
http://www.tirecraft.com/commercial/MichXLspecs.htm

Matt