• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LAS VEGAS_BRAND NEW M1097R1 owner- Any tips?

HMMWVNEWB

Like the title states I recently purchased a M1097R1 and currently waiting for the EUC and title. It looked like from pictures and videos that the engine turned over and seemed to run but all I could see a potential for problems was that the transmission was leaking. I didn't see any lights on in the videos but does anyone have any experience with this has anyone ever been able to purchase like I did and be able to drive it immediately when received? Do you suggest taking it to a diesel mechanic right away to give it a once over? (I am not a mechanic in any way and will be googling and reading how to's on almost everything I will come across. I expect to have to save cash for the things I cant do myself and have someone else work on what I cant. I do intend to just pick up some books and try and fail and try again and hopefully it will work out. :) ) For the most part I was very surprised at how complete this vehicle was compared to 90% of the others. Any helpful tips or hints would be appreciated.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Like the title states I recently purchased a M1097R1 and currently waiting for the EUC and title. It looked like from pictures and videos that the engine turned over and seemed to run but all I could see a potential for problems was that the transmission was leaking. I didn't see any lights on in the videos but does anyone have any experience with this has anyone ever been able to purchase like I did and be able to drive it immediately when received? Do you suggest taking it to a diesel mechanic right away to give it a once over? (I am not a mechanic in any way and will be googling and reading how to's on almost everything I will come across. I expect to have to save cash for the things I cant do myself and have someone else work on what I cant. I do intend to just pick up some books and try and fail and try again and hopefully it will work out. :)) For the most part I was very surprised at how complete this vehicle was compared to 90% of the others. Any helpful tips or hints would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Outfit! Seems like you are about to have some fun. Don't know what you paid for your toy, but you have to be smart. There are books that will explain a LOT of things because parts are NOT cheap. Technical Manuals (TM's) were written for the young men and women that kept these trucks running. One of the TM's is the Lube Order (Lubrication Specifications. How much, where, and how often to service.)

Search for HMMWV and look for the M Number (1097r1) to get the specifics for your truck.

Again, welcome to the group! Plan to learn and fix it yourself. Otherwise, you need to find a really fat wallet...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I looked at it on GP and I think you got a gem. Recent rebuild at Maine Military Authority. An Army HMMWV not USMC. Not cannibalized in any way. Demil limited to removal of radio equipment. Runs like a swiss watch. I see no leaks. The 40,000 miles showing does not look accurate. Looks to have a few thousand since rebuild. I would pressure wash it, change the oil and coolant, drain the diesel and put fresh in, and drive it.

HDN

Welcome to the hobby! If you're not confident in knowing what you're looking at, I definitely would treat it like any other vehicle you'd buy and take it to someone who knows, like a mechanic or a good friend who knows their way around vehicles.

Since owning my truck and in an effort to try and save money, I've learned to do a lot of stuff with my it and my daily drivers that I never thought I'd attempt over four years ago. Now I just need the facilities to make engine and transmission swaps easier...

HMMWVNEWB

Well I looked at it on GP and I think you got a gem. Recent rebuild at Maine Military Authority. An Army HMMWV not USMC. Not cannibalized in any way. Demil limited to removal of radio equipment. Runs like a swiss watch. I see no leaks. The 40,000 miles showing does not look accurate. Looks to have a few thousand since rebuild. I would pressure wash it, change the oil and coolant, drain the diesel and put fresh in, and drive it.
Awesome thank you I appreciate your input. I thought I was seeing something others werent like you say these can get expensive. The other one I bid on went on over $40,000. I paid about $8500 but my father wanted to do this with me ( I am 35 ) but he went half on it with me so I think we did pretty good as well.

HMMWVNEWB

Welcome to the Outfit! Seems like you are about to have some fun. Don't know what you paid for your toy, but you have to be smart. There are books that will explain a LOT of things because parts are NOT cheap. Technical Manuals (TM's) were written for the young men and women that kept these trucks running. One of the TM's is the Lube Order (Lubrication Specifications. How much, where, and how often to service.)

Search for HMMWV and look for the M Number (1097r1) to get the specifics for your truck.

Again, welcome to the group! Plan to learn and fix it yourself. Otherwise, you need to find a really fat wallet...

Thank you I am definitely going to grab that Lube order TM. I really appreciate the help on this. Glad I joined !

HMMWVNEWB

Thanks Mullaney! I appreciate that. I am going to do exactly what you suggest and learn to do as much as I can. I feel a lot better about doing this now that there are people who have the know how and experience and are willing to help. Thank you !

HMMWVNEWB

Do you recommend a specific oil? and this maybe a stupid question but is coolant all the same for heavy duty vehicles? Previous to this the largest vehicle I have ever owned was a 1994 Jeep Cherokee. First Diesel first 4x4 I have ever owned. (driven and used them before of course)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you recommend a specific oil? and this maybe a stupid question but is coolant all the same for heavy duty vehicles? Previous to this the largest vehicle I have ever owned was a 1994 Jeep Cherokee. First Diesel first 4x4 I have ever owned. (driven and used them before of course)
Shell is a brand that should be available most anywhere.
Rotella 15w40

About $16 for a gallon

NAPA also carries what they call Diesel Heavy Duty 15w40. Don't let anybody try to sucker you into synthetic. Changing your oil three times with regular dinosaur oil is better for your machine than thinking synthetic will save you money...

HMMWVNEWB

Shell is a brand that should be available most anywhere.
Rotella 15w40

About $16 for a gallon

NAPA also carries what they call Diesel Heavy Duty 15w40. Don't let anybody try to sucker you into synthetic. Changing your oil three times with regular dinosaur oil is better for your machine than thinking synthetic will save you money...

Ok great, thank you for the help!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for reference, you won't find the M1097R1 in any manuals. Some of them are M1097A1, and some are M1097A2 trucks. The R1 at the end is because they went through a recapitalization program, basically a rebuild to bring them up to M1097 specs from whatever variant they were before that.

Your specific truck, for parts and repair purposes, falls under the M1097A1 variety, not the A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks