• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Last lot of MEP-Generators on GL

Krc002

Hey Guys,

Just checking to see if any of the memebers here picked up any of the generators on GL for this last run through, seemed like there was a fair number of folks placing bids, i went and got my MEP-005 down in Richmond yesterday, everything looks complete and the engine turns by hand. haven't gotten past that yet.

Anyone else having fun?

KRC002

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the generators were overpriced across the board in the most recent generator auction. A few months ago, I won a MEP-002A that was completely refurbished at the ASLAC facility, stored for a year, then auctioned off. I acquired it for $800. I was looking to upgrade to a MEP-003A in this latest auction, but the prices went to ridiculous levels, especially the two 003's at Fort Dix. I'll continue to shop for an 003, but not at these prices.

John

Ratch

What people need to ralize is that unless you have an unlimited fuel supply, they are useless. Most will not even consider that.:popcorn:
Do you mean apocalypse or in general?
2 50 gallon drums with a Mep-002 would last over a week, and you should be able to get fuel in that period. A 275gal home heating oil tank should last almost a month.

Ratch

I thought the generators were overpriced across the board in the most recent generator auction. A few months ago, I won a MEP-002A that was completely refurbished at the ASLAC facility, stored for a year, then auctioned off. I acquired it for $800. I was looking to upgrade to a MEP-003A in this latest auction, but the prices went to ridiculous levels, especially the two 003's at Fort Dix. I'll continue to shop for an 003, but not at these prices.

John
I agree, I was watching those Ft Dix units and couldn't believe what people were bidding. I've noticed everything goes for crazy money in Jersey.
The units at Meade went pretty high, too.
I previewed the rebuilt 003's at Chambersburg, and they were in extremely nice shape, looked very recently rebuilt and came with a couple accesories. Bidding went over my limit monday, and I never looked at the close price. They were probably worth whatever they went for.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you mean apocalypse or in general?
2 50 gallon drums with a Mep-002 would last over a week, and you should be able to get fuel in that period. A 275gal home heating oil tank should last almost a month.
True but do you really want to burn all that valuble fuel just so you can have lights? What if you need to make a run in the deuce but you've used all your fuel in the generator? I look at ways I can get by without electricty when the SHTF. Personally, I think it's a waste of resources to try and run a generator over a long period of time.

Krc002

i picked mine up for more industrial purposes and for a school project, running shop equipment without having three phase and paying the utility company to supply something that wont be used every day, so for that i dont mind the fuel too much. i agree though, these things are going to suck fuel if youre planning on using them for power outages and home back up. it also seems like people are putting a premium on the smaller sets for home back up which makes sense as the demand for that would be greater. i thought the price i got for a 30KW generator was right nice. hopefully it all works.

Has anyone noticed if the prices fluctuate seasonally in reality on GL? most people in New England should want generators more in the winter time i would think unless they are a forward thinker and plan on buying in the summer. The economics of it would make one think that, has anyone noticed that happening in the actual auctions?

NEIOWA

I agree, I was watching those Ft Dix units and couldn't believe what people were bidding. I've noticed everything goes for crazy money in Jersey. ....
What I've noticed (in DRMS listings) is that equipment in Jersey seems to be uniformly trashed/rode hard and put up wet. Don't they know how to take care of equipment in the "Garden State"? Maybe NY City spillover.

fireman5199

How quiet are the MEP 002's and 003's with the sound kits?
I see a warning stenciled on some that warn of hearing loss.

I have a MEP-002A with ASK I can hear it in the house from about 30 feet with out anything on but it isnt annoying or very loud. I have to agree with some opinions in other posts the sound from the diesel is more bearable than a small gas unit screaming. Up close it is loud.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I've noticed (in DRMS listings) is that equipment in Jersey seems to be uniformly trashed/rode hard and put up wet. Don't they know how to take care of equipment in the "Garden State"? Maybe NY City spillover.
You obviously did not see the listings on those two 003's at Fort Dix recently. They were not trashed. They appeared to be newly refurbished units in pristine condition. Even so, I just cannot fathom the prices they realized. Mind boggling.

John

Carl_in_NH

Agree with the comment that 1800 RPM drone is much easier to live with than a 3600 RPM scream. No matter what the sound pressure level is, the slower diesel speed noise is not quite so hard on the ears.

I also use the MEP 3-phase output to run large metalworking shop equipment. My hydraulic shaper has a 7.5 HP motor on it to power the pump, and there's no power company 3 phase within several miles. A large VFD or phase converter for this one machine isn't justified - so I just fire up an MEP when I need to run it. My every-day 3 phase machines all have VFDs to operate the motors so I only fire up the genset when needed instead of powering the entire shop from it.

ETN550

I did not write the numbers down but If recall the Ft. Dix units were well over 2K. I did review all prices at the close of the last sale. I thought the prices were pretty consistent accross the country for the most part. The Eastern seaboard does seem to run higher, probably due to more population and not as many quantity being auctioned. a lot of the 003s were in the $1,850 to $2,300 range.

It never ceases to amaze me how the prices come in no matter if high quantities are being offered. 10 pages of generators in the last listing was the highest I have seen since Sept. Seems like there is a strong demand. This last auction had a large amount of bidding after 5:00PM. That is a sign there is more demand than supply.

I focus on the smaller ones mostly, and after having to take a few Hondas and such thrown into the lots I really want I can say that the prices are still a bargain. The quality of construction of the MEPs is very very good. Even the little Pow'r Gards that retail today for $3280 on the Baldor website don't even begin to approach the MEP as far as build quality, instrumentation, and voltage control. I started taking a Honda apart that was locked up and the quality and heft of the parts is no comparison. Even the wiring and starter ropes are heavier on the MEPs.

Therefore, it would not surprise me to see prices continue to move upward. The ceiling for a good running and tested machine is only determined by what the competition has on the market. For an MEP 002 or 003 that ceiling would be a watercooled 1800rpm set. Used diesel RV sets are bringing $2,800 to $4,500 on E-Bay. The only comparable air cooled 1800 rpm set is a Lister or Deutz and their prices are in the stratosphere. So there is still room for price to move up more on the MEPs.

The 003 is a real good set for home standby and the 4 cylinder motor is smooth and reliable. Very much in demand recently.

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not write the numbers down but If recall the Ft. Dix units were well over 2K. I did review all prices at the close of the last sale. I thought the prices were pretty consistent accross the country for the most part. The Eastern seaboard does seem to run higher, probably due to more population and not as many quantity being auctioned. a lot of the 003s were in the $1,850 to $2,300 range.

It never ceases to amaze me how the prices come in no matter if high quantities are being offered. 10 pages of generators in the last listing was the highest I have seen since Sept. Seems like there is a strong demand. This last auction had a large amount of bidding after 5:00PM. That is a sign there is more demand than supply.

I focus on the smaller ones mostly, and after having to take a few Hondas and such thrown into the lots I really want I can say that the prices are still a bargain. The quality of construction of the MEPs is very very good. Even the little Pow'r Gards that retail today for $3280 on the Baldor website don't even begin to approach the MEP as far as build quality, instrumentation, and voltage control. I started taking a Honda apart that was locked up and the quality and heft of the parts is no comparison. Even the wiring and starter ropes are heavier on the MEPs.

Therefore, it would not surprise me to see prices continue to move upward. The ceiling for a good running and tested machine is only determined by what the competition has on the market. For an MEP 002 or 003 that ceiling would be a watercooled 1800rpm set. Used diesel RV sets are bringing $2,800 to $4,500 on E-Bay. The only comparable air cooled 1800 rpm set is a Lister or Deutz and their prices are in the stratosphere. So there is still room for price to move up more on the MEPs.

The 003 is a real good set for home standby and the 4 cylinder motor is smooth and reliable. Very much in demand recently.

Just my 2 cents!

Excellent points. As for the Fort Dix 003's, one went for $3,000.

John

timass1

I won one of the 003's out of meade and headn down tomorrow to pick it up. The prices were cheaper than the last batch out there that averaged 2500-3000. I think I paid the most out of this last lot with most of them closing at 1600-2000. So i was happy with the prices compared to the last batch. Also the one i got was one of those with 2hrs on it and I assume was release from refurb. so Im looking forward to checking it out and cranking it over. I plan on installing a 100gal. tank on the front for those extended outages as well as put a pump on my 500gal. heating tank in the house. I ordered the fuel and oil filters for it today just in case they didn't ship with them.

rickf

The Dix generators were 3100 and 2900. I live right there so naturally they will be out of sight. Part of the reason was that they both showed 2 hours on the meters. Another thing to consider is the dealers buying 10 and 20 at a time. They resell the runners, fix the easy fixes and sell them and part out the rest. One big dealer comes to mind. And I do agree, most of the stuff from Dix is trashed. It is a reserve training base so the stuff is used until it is used up and then it is scavenged for parts for some of the other used up stuff.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks