• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Last Minute Start Up Advise/Wisdom

SasquatchSanta

Outside of installing and bleeding new fuel filters are there any "quirks" I should know about when starting up a Tead rebuild that has been in storage for 19 years?

The engine, an LDS-465-1A, was new in 85 and was rebuilt in 88. Instead of a can it came in a wooden pallet/cradle. It was obviously stored inside --- everything appears to be in excellent shape.

Is there anything I should be on the outlook for considering the engine has been sleeping for 19 years?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, be prepared for a runaway if anything has gummed up the injection pump. Usually you can throw a piece of plywood in place of the mushroom to stop it. A runaway is a nasty surprise if you've not prepared for it.

BassnTruck

Re: RE: Last Minute Start Up Advise/Wisdom

gimpyrobb said:
Yeah, both good points. Maybe turn it over with out the injectors in?
Ummmmm Not a wise idea. Even if it was easy. If ya want to pre lube it unplug the shutdown SOL to stop the fuel from going anywhere.

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: Last Minute Start Up Advise/Wisdom

I'll add a comment that I think is the "most important" thought yet... :twisted: ...make a video of it so we can see the results of your endeavor :shock:

In all seriousness, though, be safe!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Kenny, have a board ready and the mushroom off. Run-aways are ugly. Besides you don't really think clearly about how to shut down if you don't plan for it (the eng stop cable did not do anything when mine happened).

Westech

CPL
and dont forget to brake in the cam shaft. 1500 rpm for 15 - 20 min. (start it and run it don't let it idle) after cam brake in take truck down the road to 25 mph and 2000 rpm, let off gas and slow to 10 mph with out shifting or using the brakes. do this at least TEN times!! what you are doing is seating the rings. when you let off the gas it is sucking the oil up in to the cylinder and the rings, cooling the rings and seating the rings in the cylinder wall. If you skip this the life and power of the engine will suffer. Now all you junkies out there know most rebuilds were broke in at the "factory" but that engine has been sitting for almost 20 years and you better do it again.

Blood_of_Tyrants

The first thing I would do is put some oil in the cylinders and allow it to stand for a day or so.

Then I would see if I could turn the engine over by hand, just half a turn will do. Maybe a big breaker bar and a cheater handle on the crankshaft pulley bolt head. Crank the engine with no fuel and no air for 15-30 seconds to get the oil up. If you can crank until you see oil pressure, even better. You could use some methyl alcohol (wood alcohol) diluted about 3:1 with diesel as the first fuel that goes through the IP and the injectors. Wood alcohol is an excellent solvent for gummed up fuel parts.