• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Last night GL win and another project

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

Ferro (Adam) and I talked today and he has personally designated the M923A2 build with the 109 box as a M909 - so from here on out it is being called a M909. We gathered our sick minds together for early July to be able to head to CAMO and overtake - overcome the swap. Basics only will be done to get it back to the DZ and the 109 chassis will be towed back with the assistance of Ferro's towbar - lead vehicle being the 923. Its a stand by at this time for paperwork - along with tools and parts to be able to do this at CAMO. Hopefully by the time I & Adam have available to hook up the EUC and SF97 paperwork can be in process - hoping an wishing is a waste of time so we just stand by while things work out for themselves.

zout

After some deep thinking about this project coming up here is what I am going to do.

I will get some further walk around pictures of the 923 - the next set of pictures I will post to the thread is when the unit is completed. I am not going to add pics of its process nor what I am doing.

I still have to get with Swiss on being able to schedule his unit in for me to cobble it up -at least he will there to beat on me with a stick when I do - or hand me beers. It should save him time handing me the beers because of the cool hat TWM sent me.

Anyhow that is the plan.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Plan.

Always keep the enemy in the dark so they do not know the plan but only are in Shock and Awe at the outcome :)

zout

Taking tomorrow off work - just gotta get out of here for a day.
Headed down to CAMO with the tape measure in hand and camera - PB mentioned taking the dropside off and set it aside for Wreckerman - should save him some time as well during his expedition.

Will post up the overall truck pictures - next time you hear from this thread is when its done. Won;t that just make ya happy reading this garble.

goldneagle

After some deep thinking about this project coming up here is what I am going to do.

I will get some further walk around pictures of the 923 - the next set of pictures I will post to the thread is when the unit is completed. I am not going to add pics of its process nor what I am doing.

I still have to get with Swiss on being able to schedule his unit in for me to cobble it up -at least he will there to beat on me with a stick when I do - or hand me beers. It should save him time handing me the beers because of the cool hat TWM sent me.

Anyhow that is the plan.
If you are measuring the back to see how the box will fit on the 5 ton chassis with the wheel wells of the M109 box centered on the rear axles - you will find that you get one foot of frame behind the box and one foot extra in front of the box. I was hoping to get 2 feet in front (between the box and spare tire) but does not work out that way (unless you move the rear axles back one foot)

You will need to remove the mud flaps as well (rear axles on 5 ton are spaced further apart)

If you take the tail light brackets from the Deuce they will fit the 5 ton (minor alteration to air line) You loose the tail lights when you remove the cargo bed. (lights are directly attached to bed)

You will also need to add new angle brackets to secure the M109 box tot he 5 ton frame ( the original brackets do not line up)

These are my observations (from measuring the 2 vehicles side by side.)

zout

I appreciate it.

1/2 of my background was building Glider kits from the ground up into working trucks - dumps - tankers - flatbeds - State snow plow trucks including the fabrication. Tucked away is my Master Fabricator background to build these. Including stretching and shortening frames and also installing full length inner liners to the frames. I will not get into my engine - ac - hyd background plus gobs of other certifications that I have long forgot about.

I think I can easily figure out how to get the bed on and build what I am looking to build - that's why I bought the truck.

Angle brackets are not going to be used.
Once the pics are posted Sat - thats it until I am done for adding the "after" pictures with very few comments.

Hopefully I will be able to get it to the Ga Rally. If not I will be home working on it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I appreciate it.
1/2 of my background was building Glider kits from the ground up into working trucks - dumps - tankers - flatbeds - State snow plow trucks including the fabrication. Tucked away is my Master Fabricator background to build these. Including stretching and shortening frames and also installing full length inner liners to the frames. I will not get into my engine - ac - hyd background plus gobs of other certifications that I have long forgot about.
I think I can easily figure out how to get the bed on and build what I am looking to build - that's why I bought the truck.
Angle brackets are not going to be used.
Once the pics are posted Sat - thats it until I am done for adding the "after" pictures with very few comments.
Hopefully I will be able to get it to the Ga Rally. If not I will be home working on it.[/B]

OH no Mister!!:naner:

You WILL NOT be home working on the truck!! You will be at the Rally, even if we have to haul that rascal up there in pieces and assemble it there!!:-D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If we can do a wrecker build that included a TWO wrecker lift at last years rally, a 909 build should be easy

zout

Took the day off and went to the CAMO compound - had an awesome time and enjoyed the commradre. Spent some time talking WC with PB of course. Went over the 923 with Troy and PB both. I'll bring down a set of batteries when July 13th swings around for the conversion. WM - there's your dropside pictures. Troy slaved off and we fired up the ole girl and took it for a spin - that is one sweet truck even wet seat and all (no top) and I could care less. This thread will go into the archives till all is done. Here are a few more pics of the exterior.Photo2140.jpgPhoto2141.jpgPhoto2142.jpgPhoto2143.jpgPhoto2144.jpgPhoto2145.jpgPhoto2146.jpg

zout

Ferro and I are going to head to CAMO July 13 to do the swap of the RV box off the 109 to the 923. MR. Tigger is the owner of the chassis of the deuce and half. Or should I say MRS. TIGGERGF is - ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Will be towing the chassis back with the rv box mounted to the 923 - all I gotta do now is get the manifold exhaust flange welded up before we leave so we are not deaf and fumigated on the trip back - wonder if the have a drug screen for exhaust inhalation ??????? It has no top so it won't be all bad (forgot to tell Adam the exhaust was broken
:D)

zout

12 more days before heading to CAMO to do the box swap on site - hopefuly CSM in Hattiesburg MS digs out that soft top and gets back to us he has it so our fellas can make the run over there to pay him - pick it up and have it on hand and ready for the 13th (just know its going to be a monsoon out without it). SF97 has come through and working on the final paperwork. Looks like Adam and I along with the assistance of CAMO are going to have an awesome day and see what we can do about a bbq while we're down there as well.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Not to worry Bro. The BBQ is in the planning as we speak...er...type.

We'll try to have everything ready here so it goes like clockwork!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.