• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest Acquisition: M923 (pics)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya know, before this I've never seen a 900-series truck with standard rear duals. All the ones I have seen had been upgraded to A1 or A2 status. That's going to be awesome on the trail!

halftrack

From Integrated Publishing Reference you can download all 6 900 series TM's for just 9 bucks. For $9 a month they allow you to download 10 TM's a day. Best money I ever spent on manuals. They're are 6 1000 page each TM's you need for the truck. Love the MERDC camo.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, the A1 and A2 trucks were not upgraded A0 trucks. They were new trucks off the assembly line. The initial contract for the A0 trucks was completed by AMG in the early 80's. Then, the A1 trucks were finished by AMG in the mid-80's. Finally, the A2 trucks were finished by the BMY division of Harsco in the early 90's. The USMC did upgrade numerous A0 trucks with super-singles and lockers in their rebuild program. The Navy SeaBees ended up with some of those trucks too.

mikester

I never thought about the problems you would have as far as the front end and a brush truck. The local FD has a match to that truck. Same camo too. I almost thought they sold it to you. I had to go by the house to see if it was still there !

mightyhammer

I got a funny story about one of these...One of our Motor T troopies was launching a RAC for us and the brake didn't set(as he says) and it rolled back in the drink all the way up to the hood ornament...They dried 'er out and she ran as before...I love Green Iron! LOL

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

No.2Diesel

Wow I didn't think anyone cared :) Thank you Joe for the manual link!

Mechanically, the truck operates flawlessy. We've put on 800+ miles in three States without having it registered or inspected & without plates. One cop asked us "where'd that truck come from?" in a manner that inferred that we had stolen it. We did put insurance on it before the Rally.

-During the RC Rally one of the unloader valves attached to the air tanks was dumping air prematurely. It was annoying but didn't affect safety. It was dumping air at about 120psi when its supposed to be holding 130-140psi. The valve is supposed to dump at 150psi.

-While at the RC Rally CARNAC stopped by in his "Mobile MV Trading Post" and I acquired among other things a brand new 14ft. 3-color camo cargo top for the 923. And I might add that the price was right!

-On the way home from the Rally we stopped at a junkyard in NJ and picked up:
New mirror heads
Spare tire
Shackles, front & rear

-We also reversed the damage to the center of the bumper from the execution of the "trail widening program" at RC. I heated it up with the rosebud tip and was able to curl the bucket on my JD crawler loader, pulling out the dent completely. Looks like it never happened.

Outstanding Items to be done:

-Have the truck inspected & registered :wink:
-Acquire cargo bows, corners, and sides
-Get the transmission temperature gauge to work
-Push out oil can dent in hardtop (it barely noticeable even now)
-Restore/repair existing wooden troop sides (Unless we can find a nice cheap pair)
-Acquire small chain hoist for spare tire davit, make davit extension and pivot operate smoothly
-Acquire spare tire "spoon" that retains spare tire
-Replace crumbling hood liner
-Take out rubber floor mat "moisture trap" in cab and remove scale rust.
-Prepare truck & paint 3-color woodland
-Apply stenciling

Currently the 923 is high on the "project" priority list. Even with the light duty work, progress will be slow with all the other stuff going on. I can't wait to realize the end result.

Thanks again for letting me share. I'll keep U's guys posted.

No.2Diesel

I already posted some of these pics in the RC thread but I'll put some here that feature the 923. I should've taken more pics.

-Offroad, the 923 did great. My brother said it was like driving a schoolbus through the woods. Where there wasn't room it made room.

-Our club is having a local trailride in the sand coming up soon so I'll post those too.

Enjoy

Attachments