• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest M1167 purchase. Too far gone? Or should I rebuild.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While waiting on my M1167 that I won in December to get released, I'm contemplating if I use the parts I want for my M1152 or rebuild. The engine is complete and was sealed off with tape on all open areas. It is missing front hood, radiator, injection pump, AC compressor, power brake booster, alternator and most accessories. This is a REV truck with the gear driven fan and Sheppard steering box. Has anyone attempted this much of a rebuild from an auction buy?

I do know that the gear driven fan and steering box go for a pretty penny and could almost pay for the truck when selling the extra parts.

65e106c4-4bc1-4a10-b0a6-3db876e0022e.jpg099d13b1-fcf7-4a7d-aae5-88aac0ccbe7f.jpg

royg

With that many pricey major parts missing you're going to have more in to acquiring those bits then it would cost you to buy another truck either complete or as parts. In your shoes I would consider buying a cheaper 2 door troop truck with the bits you need and putting them together.

To me the geared fan/sheppard steering are more of an expensive liability then an asset.

I think your choice depends on what condition you find the engine/transmission are really in. You have no idea when the intake was covered or if it was done well enough to save the engine. You could have a water/rust/locked up engine. Transmission could be garbage. Some major failure caused it to be harvested and you probably own the major component that failed.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that many pricey major parts missing you're going to have more in to acquiring those bits then it would cost you to buy another truck either complete or as parts. In your shoes I would consider buying a cheaper 2 door troop truck with the bits you need and putting them together.

To me the geared fan/sheppard steering are more of an expensive liability then an asset.

I think your choice depends on what condition you find the engine/transmission are really in. You have no idea when the intake was covered or if it was done well enough to save the engine. You could have a water/rust/locked up engine. Transmission could be garbage. Some major failure caused it to be harvested and you probably own the major component that failed.
That's what I was wondering. I see new geared fan drives selling for 8-10 new. What is a used one worth, I've never seen a used one sell.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I was wondering. I see new geared fan drives selling for 8-10 new. What is a used one worth, I've never seen a used one sell.
$8-10k for a GFD? …ummm, No
I see NOS complete GFD’s all the time for $3k with CV Joint…
looking at that pic, that’s a parts truck unless you do all your own work.
Ive got a few that have far less than that missing and I’m more inclined to just part them out to recover my my money.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$8-10k for a GFD? …ummm, No
I see NOS complete GFD’s all the time for $3k with CV Joint…
looking at that pic, that’s a parts truck unless you do all your own work.
Ive got a few that have far less than that missing and I’m more inclined to just part them out to recover my my money.
I'll take your word for it that it's a parts truck. I was hoping you'd give your advice. I know I can put it back together but trying to find every little piece is going to add up and I'd rather not.

I was only getting my prices looking around at part numbers for the different parts I could sell.

• Wow
Reactions: OBX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take your word for it that it's a parts truck. I was hoping you'd give your advice. I know I can put it back together but trying to find every little piece is going to add up and I'd rather not.

I was only getting my prices looking around at part numbers for the different parts I could sell.
Those are vendor dream prices, or a fool with money.
The MSRP at a distributor is half that

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are vendor dream prices, or a fool with money.
The MSRP at a distributor is half that
What is a realistic used part price for the geared fan and Sheppard gear box? Trying to recoup some money.

Do you sell the turret block off plates for the m1167? Or should I just get some flat stock and my plasma cutter and cut a perfect circle and make bolt holes?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a realistic used part price for the geared fan and Sheppard gear box? Trying to recoup some money.

Do you sell the turret block off plates for the m1167? Or should I just get some flat stock and my plasma cutter and cut a perfect circle and make bolt holes?
look at MSRP and maybe half that? It’s all about supply and demand…steering gears are in higher demand that GFD’s, I don’t get many requests for GFD’s.
The steering gear is a different story, rumor is they are mfg discontinued and Sheppard is no longer doing rebuilds, they went dealer direct.
Many of the trucks are missing the gears

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I do when I have them in stock

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possible stupid question - could the GFD be converted back to a cadillac/clutch setup? Would that conversion be enough to justify saving the vehicle?
not really…the front crossmembers are different for the GFD to mount, the fan shroud would not fit to mount the radiator with the current setup.

springer1981

You can buy it new from AMG for 5100. I saw a used one for sale recently on a FB group for $800. Others for $2500. Basically it's all over the place. I've seen some unreasonably priced over $8K.

GDF.JPG

Last edited:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy it new from AMG for 5100. I saw a used one for sale recently on a FB group for $800. Others for $2500. Basically it's all over the place. I've seen some unreasonably priced over $8K.

View attachment 888593
Thank you for the info. I'm making a list of parts to sell off this M1167 as I really only purchased for the hardtop and slantback and a few interior items for my M1151 conversion. Trying to recoup the $3500 (actually $4,406.98 with auction fees and taxes) I paid Govplant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks