• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest news from across the pond in dusty Africa

chillin_in_bots

Firstly a big thanks to everyone that helped with some advice...
Managed to take the truck for its maiden voyage to the filling station and back:-DThe smoke seems to be noticeably less once it warms up to operating temps... so holding thumbs on it going away over the next few days.
Sadly now the time comes for all the teething problems... and there seem to be quite a few minor ones(Hopefully!!!)

700r4 related: Not seem to be a "park" click on the box. Reverse is the further most option. Freshly rebuilt box.. so hopeing nothing too serious. Also won't shift into overdrive when in "Drive"? I know a few guys done the conversion... but maybe I just gotta hound the shop that did the rebuild!

12 volt conversion done... but now I've realised the truck is not charging. Completly dead battery after shutting it off. Voltmeter not registering... but that could have to do with the 24v to 12v conversion. Removed the ceramic bridge on the back with no luck. Only running 1 battery.. if that helps?

Truck won't start when hot... except if I manually ground the GP relay. I presume this is time to put in a manual GP switch. Maybe the temp switch has given up the ghost... and there's no chance I'll find one loacally!

Thanks guys once more for all the assistance! Grin on my face driving to the filling station was worth the past 8 months for sure!

AJMBLAZER

Random thought but is the shift linkage hooked up and adjusted correctly? I've heard of guys having trouble with that after doing a 700R4 swap.

GP's shouldn't even be used when the truck is hot. It shouldn't need them.

chillin_in_bots

Thanks, Tried just shifting it straight on the box... had no luck. Chatting to the gent at the transmission shop- advises to turn the propshaft. should then slip into Park. Can then adjust the linkage.. Will try tomorrow night.
Charging solution= fuseable link before junction box in engine bay
Glow plug Relay= voltage drop once key turned to crank. Fuseable link once more on the power cable to GP relay.

Thanks again for input... slowly getting there now :-D

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a good friend here in the states who is from Rakops, Botswana. Usually gets back home for about a month every year. Hope someday to catch a ride with him. Can't answer any of your questions however. Would love to see photos of the CUCV in Botswana.

Eco

BobM

Did they put a torque converter lockup on your truck? The 700R4 needs a closed loop lockup for the torque converter.
You shouldn't need to turn the prop shaft (we call it a driveshaft) to get the shifter to move into the park position. You might have to turn the shaft to get the pawl to drop into place and lock the driveshaft, but the shifter should freely move into place. Did you unhook the linkage when you moved the tranny shifter? Maybe the linkage just needs to be adjusted to let the tranny move into place.

chillin_in_bots

Finally managed to get the "park" to line up on the 700r4. Got full tension on the TV cable on WOT... but it won't settle in OD. Hunts back and fourth between 3rd and OD. Going try loosen the cable a bit.
Good news is that the smoke dies away once it's nice and warm. :-D Seems to be happier each day.
Hot start is a continuous problem... Manual GP switch solved it for now. Think IP might be on its way out from what I've read.
Had a leak somewhere from the lift pump...just bypassed it in the mean time till I can get a new s-bend pipe and fresh lift pump- still running th electric one as a back up.
Loving the truck... stupid grin on my face the whole time I'm driving!
Thanks again guys!

BobM

Great news. Glad it is all working now. One question: Why not just use the electric lift pump? It sure saves the starter when you change fuel filters.:-D

chillin_in_bots

I'm running an electirc pump and the mechanical one in series. THat way if one lets me down in the bush.. i'm still getting home! THe electric one sure does make bleeding the fuel system so much easier! Hoping to get the roadworthy done this week, then licenced. Then hit the bush and see what she's all about.
Random question: How do these handle snow and ice on the road? Never had any experiance with either...

AJMBLAZER

Just fine provided the driver does their part. Drove mine through most of a Northern Michigan winter a few years ago and several folks on here use theirs as daily drivers in snowy climates.

BobM

Yeah my 1008 has paid for itself this year with all the snow and ice that we have had. Wish I could have sent ya some of this stuff just so that you could play in it! :twisted:
Of course in snow/ice you must always remember that you can't STOP as fast as you can GO!:-D