• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD-465 Rear Main Oil Seal Replacement?

saddamsnightmare

November 2nd, 2008.

Any suggestions on how to replace the rear main crankshaft oil seal on a White Ld465 non turbo diesel in a Kaiser Jeep M35A2 without pulling the engine out?????
My thoughts are to lift her by the front shackles, remove the oil pain cover and, if possible, change the oil seal in situ...... This monster only has about 25,500 miles since rebuild in 1990 for Desert Storm, and she drips about one quart every 500 to 1000 miles,usually after being shut down.
She doesn't always drip, but it is from the crankcase and is coming from the flywheel drain plug hole....she makes a mess on pavement like a Model T Ford.... Now I know why GL puts the absorbent pads and pans under the deuces they have for sale....
The Arab's best friend.... a worn rear main seal on a deuce!!!!

I know I'll need a new seal and a new oild pan gasket (White Owl's gonna be a happy man), but I don't want to pull that nasty engine if I can, because a commercial truck garage is gonna have to do it then.... and the loacl's are scared of the deuce because of her size and differences from more modern trucks.... Other then that, the NA LD465 seems to be an almost indestructible engine if you care for it properly....
I should bounce this one offa Will Wagner.... the King Kahuna of the LD 465....None better or more expert then he can be found.....

Weigh in boyo's and thanks for the insights! :beer:

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Truck (Jed Clampett's old faithfull for oil drops)!
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 trailer
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S.404.114 MB
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set APU

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gotta' pull the trans to do it, engine does not have to be removed.

As long as you are there, decide if you wanna' replace the clutch and have the flywheel machined. No better time to do it.

Same goes for the u-joints on the jacksgaft between the tranny and transfer.

saddamsnightmare

Nov. 2nd, 2008.

Thanks.....
The TM's don't go into the oil seal replacement as a repair.....BUT I'm still gonna hate having the garage pull the transmission..... I know Wil Wagner hauls them out himself using the doors and a I beam and chain hoist.... but I've got no shop big enough for the deuce.. so the truck garage is going to get me good.
I haven't had a lot of problems with the clutch.... if it gets down to that I might just look up a turbo diesel in the can on EGAY and switch the whole mess out....

Strange, that and the air compressor rear crankcase head gasket and the bottom o the oil filter covers were the leaks at 24,000 miles... Wonder what caused them except for 18 years since rebuild???

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My rear main started puking oil on a trip one day, it was a steady stream while it was running. I went and got some rear main seal stop leak additive and drove it home, fixed the leak. I know its only temporary but it has allowed me to stretch my dollar a little more. I'm going to be doing the clutch when I do my seal but am trying to limp it through till after the holidays. If the leak is not that bad might want to try the additive first and see what happens.

jbeachmba

rear main seal stop leak

My rear main started puking oil on a trip one day, it was a steady stream while it was running. I went and got some rear main seal stop leak additive and drove it home, fixed the leak. I know its only temporary but it has allowed me to stretch my dollar a little more. I'm going to be doing the clutch when I do my seal but am trying to limp it through till after the holidays. If the leak is not that bad might want to try the additive first and see what happens.

Where did you get the rear main seal stop leak? Where do you put the stuff into the engin oil? Looking forward to your reply.

jbeachmba

Blinker fluid tank

Any auto parts store and you add it in the blinker fluid tank.

Hey thanks for the insight. Do you have a schematic of the location of the blinker fluid tank? rofl
Does it require a left handed cresent wrench or a left handed screw driver?:lol:

Engine oil fill right?

I have gotten good help from Spedmon in the past. Do you know him?

jbeachmba

lol Yeah the Barrs (SP) leak rear main works good. I used it in the M151 so we could drive it for the summer last year. It worked..

Thank you for the insight. I have had little issue with leaking but on the last 92 degree day I drove it 120 miles on the highway and when I got home the bottom of the truck was rust proofed. Seems to be leaking little now but the temp is much cooler. I hope this works until a more handy time.

If you own a deuce you will learn to be a mechanic. :cool:

Thanks,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks