• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD, LDT, LDS Horsepower and Torque

jollyroger

We all ask, we all want to know and here is what the book says.

LDS-465-2: 195 HP @ 2800 RPM 425 LbFt @ 2000 RPM

LDS-465-1A: 175 HP @ 2600 RPM 425 LbFt @ 2000 RPM

LD(S)-465-1: 126 HP @ 2600 RPM 300 LbFt @ 1400 RPM
(S) ^ is a typo in the maintenace manual

LD-465-1C: 126 HP @ 2600 RPM 300 LbFt @ 1400 RPM

LDT-465-1C: 130 HP @ 2600 RPM 305 LbFt @ 1500 RPM

LDS-465-1: 175 HP @ 2600 RPM 425 LbFt @ 2000 RPM

As per the TM 9-2815-210-34-2-1

jollyroger

As far as I know the 1C (whistler) and 1D are supposed to be rated the same. We all know book HP and torque numbers can vary from real world numbers. So I would think your engine tag would give you the best information on the HP. The 1D was unfortunately not in this manual. So if someone has a 1D in their manuals please post.

The numbers I have always been curious about were the torque numbers. Had not seen those till the TM I'm quoting from. Interesting to me the LDS #'s rival my 1996 Ford Powerstroke Diesel.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a few of mine.

The first engine is a 140 hp LDT465-1C and has a D turbo and both the truck and engine dated 1974.

The second engine is a 134 hp LDT465-1D, a D turbo and is dated 1987. It is in my 1970.

The third engine is in my 1969 bobb'd deuce. There is a Tooele Depot rebuild tag on the dash dated March 1990. Truck shows low mileage/hours and runs like new. It appears they were in a hurry because other than the serial number, the generic manufacturer tag has no data entered. It has a D turbo.

I have a couple motors under a tarp that I remember were both dated 1987, one has a C turbo, and a rebuilt in a can with a D turbo. I'll have to get more info off them when I get time.

Added a pic of the tag and the turbo on my 5 ton engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

Are the LDT and LDS injection pumps the same? Basically are they swappable? I see the turbo's c&d don't seem to have any difference in HP and the difference in HP between LDT trucks probably is due to how the IP is set. One last question, is the turbo the same on the LDS & LDT?
Thanks

army_nurse

the deuce i gave to my best friend has a LDS-465-1 pump on a LDT-465-1D motor and it runs well. i won a LDS 465 1A pump on GL today and plan to put it on my new deuce that has a LDT-1D and expect it will run great afterward.

2deuce

I did the same thing, but got 6. Some dealer must have bought at least 40 of them. Now I have to figure out pickup and shipping to Oregon. I have 2 lds engines and was hoping they could be used as spares for my friends and my own deuces. I'm happy to hear they work with the LDT. Thanks

Wolf.Dose

According to the 10 feet of manuals and several CD the LDS-465-1, -1A, -2 should be 5 ton truck engines. The LD-465-1, - 1C, LDT-465-1C should be 2 1/2 to truck engines.
The given powers are the netto rated horse powers. The manual talks always of 135 to 140 gross hp, for the 5-tons of 200 to 240 hp, where in the later value I doubt.
Simmeler scenario: The CUCV truck series engine is military rated at 135 hp netto, the civilian netto value is 150 hp, as used by the HUMMVE, the air filter info is 155 hp. Correct is 150 hp at 3600 rpm. The military uses figures, which are composed a little different to civilian values: Altinators are at full load, the fan absorbes maximum power. So 15 to 20 hp less than the civilian value is not to far away from the truth.
Wolf

Parker2

Are the LDT and LDS injection pumps the same? Basically are they swappable? I see the turbo's c&d don't seem to have any difference in HP and the difference in HP between LDT trucks probably is due to how the IP is set. One last question, is the turbo the same on the LDS & LDT?
Thanks
They may be different, but I dont know how. I replaced my hh with one from a 5 ton wrecker and the rest of the injection pump looks exactly like the one on my LDT.

Last edited:

Oldfart

What the TM says ~~ open each page in a new window to adjust the size to suit your eyeballs.

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Horsepower. Sometimes raw power. How to measure power.
I remember Ronald Reagan Death Valley Days from when I was a kid.
They never showed this. They used 18 mules and 2 horses for 10 tons, what were they pulling with 40 mule?

View from the driver's seat of a 40 mule team. These rigs were used to haul Borax out of Boron, CA and then loaded onto railroads for manufacturing. All this so you could do the laundry! Holy smokes, that's a lot of power!
horsepower .jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks