• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ld465-1 turbo???

rogerm101a2

hello,
i have found a deuce of my dreams but it has the ld465-1 engine. I want a turbo. So my question is...how much would it cost and is it even possible
??? Thank you for your time.

armytruck63

Yes, it's definitely possible. Do a search on turbo conversion and see what you come up with.

I would suggest driving this truck before hand if you can. Non-turbo trucks have only slightly less power because the turbos were added mainly to clean up the exhaust, not to produce more power. So, the trucks make a little more smoke than a turbo model, but they are MUCH quieter, especially if the exhaust goes out near the rear wheels.

The non-turbo M35A2 I used to have was no louder than my dad's M37.

Last edited:

Jakob

My non-turbo is loud, but not as bad as a turbo truck. I think the only time my truck is lacking to a turbo truck is on acceleration. Otherwise, I can cruise at 55mph easily and keep it up slight inclines too.
I want a turbo mostly for the sound.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you want to add a turbo to that motor, it can be done relatively easily. You'll need the turbo with the different intake horn, the oil tubes, Slobber tube, and a clean air kit(different exhaust and intake tube). Should be able to for $500 or less.

63sierra10

Mine was originally an LDT with the whistler, but I replaced it with an LD after it blew up. It has a turbo from an LDS that was in a 5 ton. I really didn't have to do much to put it in. It was a relatively simple operation.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I added a turbo to my smoky LD-465 It cleaned up the smoke and made gobs of power. Afterwards the EGT and manifold pressure were dangerously high. It took about 2-1/2 full turns of the fuel screw to get it down to safe levels (12 psi at 2500rpm). It is still very strong. I added a stack muffler, boost gauge and pyrometer. You should retard the timing 5*. The stock non-turbo slobber tube can be bent a tiny bit, to work.
My Costs
D turbo $100 (e-bay)
J pipe -$160 (new)
Pyrometer gauge and probe -$130 (New)
Muffler -$50 (NAPA)
Manifold Adapter $45 (used)
Pressure pipe Turbo to mani adapter-$5(used)
Silicone hose- $25 (NAPA)

Steel Soldiers member/moderator cranetruck wrote an excellent 'how to' article in Military Vehicles Magazine December 2002. I can e-mail that 8 page (2 Meg) article it if you PM me with your e-mail address.

p.s. cranetruck- if the copyright abuse bothers you please let me know and I will desist.

Last edited:

wb1895

I have a LD-465-1 motor in my deuce, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Personally unless you just want the sound of a turbo I would leave it as it is. My deuce smokes worse than a locomotive but I enjoy having the smoke when people tailgate me....[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks