• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ld465-1 turbo???

rogerm101a2

hello,
i have found a deuce of my dreams but it has the ld465-1 engine. I want a turbo. So my question is...how much would it cost and is it even possible
??? Thank you for your time.

armytruck63

Yes, it's definitely possible. Do a search on turbo conversion and see what you come up with.

I would suggest driving this truck before hand if you can. Non-turbo trucks have only slightly less power because the turbos were added mainly to clean up the exhaust, not to produce more power. So, the trucks make a little more smoke than a turbo model, but they are MUCH quieter, especially if the exhaust goes out near the rear wheels.

The non-turbo M35A2 I used to have was no louder than my dad's M37.

Last edited:

Jakob

My non-turbo is loud, but not as bad as a turbo truck. I think the only time my truck is lacking to a turbo truck is on acceleration. Otherwise, I can cruise at 55mph easily and keep it up slight inclines too.
I want a turbo mostly for the sound.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you want to add a turbo to that motor, it can be done relatively easily. You'll need the turbo with the different intake horn, the oil tubes, Slobber tube, and a clean air kit(different exhaust and intake tube). Should be able to for $500 or less.

63sierra10

Mine was originally an LDT with the whistler, but I replaced it with an LD after it blew up. It has a turbo from an LDS that was in a 5 ton. I really didn't have to do much to put it in. It was a relatively simple operation.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I added a turbo to my smoky LD-465 It cleaned up the smoke and made gobs of power. Afterwards the EGT and manifold pressure were dangerously high. It took about 2-1/2 full turns of the fuel screw to get it down to safe levels (12 psi at 2500rpm). It is still very strong. I added a stack muffler, boost gauge and pyrometer. You should retard the timing 5*. The stock non-turbo slobber tube can be bent a tiny bit, to work.
My Costs
D turbo $100 (e-bay)
J pipe -$160 (new)
Pyrometer gauge and probe -$130 (New)
Muffler -$50 (NAPA)
Manifold Adapter $45 (used)
Pressure pipe Turbo to mani adapter-$5(used)
Silicone hose- $25 (NAPA)

Steel Soldiers member/moderator cranetruck wrote an excellent 'how to' article in Military Vehicles Magazine December 2002. I can e-mail that 8 page (2 Meg) article it if you PM me with your e-mail address.

p.s. cranetruck- if the copyright abuse bothers you please let me know and I will desist.

Last edited:

wb1895

I have a LD-465-1 motor in my deuce, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Personally unless you just want the sound of a turbo I would leave it as it is. My deuce smokes worse than a locomotive but I enjoy having the smoke when people tailgate me....[thumbzup]