• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS-465-1A Powered M35A2's

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce that arrived a few weeks ago has a very newly rebuilt LDS-465-1A in it. 2 questions:

1. Why would the army install the LDS? Running out of LDT's or for more power.
2. Are there others out there in the SS motor pool? Or have you at least seen them?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: LDS-465-1A Powered M35A2

More power to you and from what I would say this may have been done in a National Guard maintenance site as they were working on dueces and 800 series long after the regular Army gave up on them. That is a way cool option for a duece just over a grand.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: LDS-465-1A Powered M35A2

M1075 said:
...Night and day difference in performance for sure!
:ditto:

2 more LDS465-1A repowered Deuces (and their very happy owners) here in Uruguay!

G.

SasquatchSanta

RE: Re: RE: LDS-465-1A Powered M35A2

Congratulations!

Yo --- One Mo!

The LDS is a BIG improvement.

I may be off base here but I think with the standard deuce air breather you're going to need a pyro to keep the exhaust gas temperatures within save range.

My deuce mounted LDS-1A has to be monitored to keep it below 1,150 degrees.

saddamsnightmare

August 29th, 2008.

Saddam's Nightmare has a normally aspirated LD(s)465..... No turbo, White Motor, but the plates worn nice and shiny on the block.... last rebuild 1990 for Desert Storm...... Which amazed me that they didn't fit her with a turbo on the last rebuild!!!
Nice think about the NA engines, no long spool up or spool down period, and they seem to be pretty good at cold starts...
So I do know whether to say "YO!" or "Maybe"?

Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Unimog S.404.114 MB- with repair costs like these, you could buy 2 deuces!!!

DanMartin

Congrats on a great buy!

Mine has the LDS as well...installed by Idaho Motor Pool to replace the grenaded engine in it when they bought it at auction.

Lots of power...almost never have to downshift on the freeway when pulling long hills in the mountains.

avengeusa

so how many different engines are available in these things?, and what is the expected life from the different engines?

I have been searching, and reading all of the old posts to find info