• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS/5 ton power steering

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
M-61A2-OK so I am pulling my LDS out since it is pretty much shot. I am not replacing it with an LDT or an LDS and am going with a IH 6.9L IDI that is out of a 4x4 bus that is hooked to a spicer 4054D tranny. I found an electric motor and a steel plate and I am going to run my air compressor with the 12v motor 1/4hp and just run it remotely alone so that is not an issue. If it does come to be one I can always run an air ride compressor, but to the topic at hand. Since I want to keep the power steering but using the pump on the LDS is going to be a no go. The engine i picked up is complete with 160amp alternator, power steering, air pump, and all the rest of the goodies. This engine was running a 26' bus that was 4x4. My question is would the power steering pump that is on the bus engine be able to run the 5 ton steering system? I think its the same pump that runs an F-250/350 diesel as well. Does anyone know the amount of pressure the 5 ton system needs to operate? I know I will have to redo the fitting to make it work down to such a small pump hose.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vintage iron

I just took the a LDS out of my parts truck. My buddy was swapping it with his LDT in his Deuce. I believe your LDS pump with bolt in to your LDT engine.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after scraping some paint of the tag and reading it from an angle, the part number for the cylinder appears to be Vickers S20826-3CBWN W07N-11 036.
Doesn't agree with my previous post, so don't know about the pressure...

m816

If you go to Vickers pwoer steering pump, The VTM pump uses 1000 psi for the series 10 pump. the 35 series uses 3500 psi I believe the multifuel five ton pump was the series 10 but I don't recal exactly.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if a "10" Series VTM even exists. The pump we are talking about, out of the 5 ton MF engines is a VTM 42-Series and it normally comes with the #232797 valve (= 1500psi)

G.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I send some information to AGRperformance.com to see what they had in their inventory. My brother in law has one of their Rock Ram systems on his rock crawler that is sporting deuce axles on 49x 19.5" cut boggers and he is able to turn full to full with 1 finger. He didn't know the pressure it puts out but he said with the stock saginaw pump it would just keep wearing the pump bearings out with those big tires. I am not sure pressure is going to be the issue with their super pump system they offer. I believe the problem is going to be volume so I am going to consider a remote system and see if I can keep the stock reservoir.