• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS torque numbers?

yeager1

I've seen a lot of numbers floating around about hp and troque, so someone please inform me if these are wrong.

An LDT has 134 HP and 330 lb/ft according to most sources (although some vary)

An LDS is 180 HP in a 5 ton (some LDS are 210hp, but not in a 5 ton), BUT what are the torque numbers? Based on a graph posted by another member, I think it's around 440 lb/ft for the 180hp version. Can anyone confirm these numbers?

Bill W

Continental aircraft and engineering company (CAE) Trouble shooting manual (1968 ) for the LDS-465-1 Multifuel states 170-185bhp at 2600rpm's and 440ft/lbs torque at 1800rpm

Last edited:

yeager1

If you do the math on the different versions you will see that the multi-fuel makes a very consistent 2.45 lbs/ft per horsepower. If this trend is consistent, the 210hp version would have 515 lbs/ft torque in its stock configuration. I would guess this is probably the top end of what the motor could reliably make by turning the fuel up, assuming your radiator will keep your engine temps down. Not huge numbers, but very respectable and certainly enough to second guess a motor swap.

Power Output:
LDT: 134 hp-330 lbs/ft
LDS: 180 hp-440 lbs/ft
210 version: 210 hp- 515 lbs/ft* Estimated*

Chuck

It's easy to find the torque at any given RPM where you have a known HP value. The two are directly related. This won't give you peak TQ since that doesn't occur at the same engine speed as peak HP, but it will at least tend to get you in the right ballpark, since a lot of engines built for this sort of use (particularly diesels) tend to have fairly flat torque curves through most of their operating range.

The basic equation is always:

HP = TQ * RPM / 5250 whenever power is in HP, TQ is in ft-lb. Rearrange to find TQ and you have:

TQ = HP * 5250 / RPM

To do a couple examples from your numbers above:

...An LDT has 134 HP and 330 lb/ft according to most sources (although some vary)...
At 2600rpm (I'm assuming), TQ = (134hp) * 5250 / (2600 rpm) = 270.6 ft-lb at redline. That's down 60 ft-lb or 18% from peak, which is pretty decent. If you assume the 210hp version has the same torque curve with the boost cranked (which just increases TQ proportionally along most of the torque curve), then at redline you'd have:

TQ = 210hp * 5250 / 2600 = 424 ft-lb

Assuming the same ratio of redline to peak torque:

TQpk = 424 ft-lb * (330/270) = 518 ft-lb

Obviously that's just an estimate based on some assumptions, but it comes up with about the same number Yeager's quick check did. It does show a little more about how the power curve is really working. As long as you don't move the torque curve up or down on the engine speed graph, and just crank the boost, this is a pretty consistent and accurate way to estimate. If you move the torque curve, you can use this method to get a better estimate, assuming you have some idea what the new torque curve will look like.

Don't know if that was helpful or not this time, but sometimes that equation can be pretty useful.