• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

rustystud

Well, none of this is especially encouraging. I have two White multifuels built in the early 80s.
Well Jason, if this means anything. Tracey feels that the "White" engine is the better built engine. He thinks the "Continental" is the worst of the bunch. I personally like the "Hercules" engines better. I have worked on a lot of older "Hercules" engines. They seem to hold up to industrial use really well.

Jeepsinker

I haven't been here as long as a lot of other members, but of all the reading I have done on engine failures on here, White seems to be the most failure prone. I like the Continentals myself.

welldigger

I haven't been here as long as a lot of other members, but of all the reading I have done on engine failures on here, White seems to be the most failure prone. I like the Continentals myself.
Mines a mystery engine. If it ever craps out I don't know which manufacturer to blame.

welldigger

You know Jake, your right. As most engines have been reworked with parts from who knows where. We probably will never know which engine is the best since we have never seen a complete factory engine.
No Greg, I literally mean I don't know who made my engine. My data plate just says multifuel. Mine was rebuilt in 91. I guess they pulled the data plate and swapped it for a generic plate. The rebuild plate underneath it has the rod and main bearings listed that they used and a few other bits of info. That's it.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Greg, I literally mean I don't know who made my engine. My data plate just says multifuel. Mine was rebuilt in 91. I guess they pulled the data plate and swapped it for a generic plate. The rebuild plate underneath it has the rod and main bearings listed that they used and a few other bits of info. That's it.
Maybe somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like i have seen the "white" logo casted on some of the intake manifolds before. it might have been the size of a quarter or so. Now if I am correct on some of the intake manifolds having that cast into them, would that mean that the rest of the engine is a white? Not necessarily I don't think because all engine parts are interchangeable no matter what brand.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I have a complete ( not rebuilt) white motor with a 72' build date. Jake, you've seen it. The one I broke the throttle shaft off of. My continental in my truck, and both of my Continental LDS465-1a engines are all rebuilt in 91'. The LDS motors are all factory tolerance motors though. No oversize bearings anywhere indicated on the reman tags. I had thought that maybe meant they just did a light overhaul on it but I'm sure all the engines were torn down and parts sent down conveyors to different check stations and machining stations, never to reunite with the same block. The same way Jasper rebuilds engines and transmissions. I got one Jasper engine that had two different styles of heads on it and I never could get it to stop leaking oil there.

welldigger

Even if you have a tag saying continental or whatever make, there's no doubt that a head from a hercules or something could be on it. Or vise versa. Heck you could have lds parts in an ldt.

Jeepsinker

I know, I know. Once they go through reman you never really know what you have. I'd like to think every engine was torn down and rebuilt with the same parts individually but I know better.

welldigger

I know, I know. Once they go through reman you never really know what you have. I'd like to think every engine was torn down and rebuilt with the same parts individually but I know better.
That would be the most sensible way. Is that how it's done? No idea.

A big part of mix and match parts may be because of suppliers going out of business. Such as continental. If you have a Continental block rebuilt in the late 80's or 90's then chances are you have hercules/white parts in your engine.