• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

rustystud

View attachment 591877I am a diesel mechanic and I do understand hypercycle combustion very well. The two hole injector would work better. The injector has two small holes that are about equal to the size of the one hole injector. The difference between the two injectors is the one hole puddles fuel in the combustion bowl where the two hole injector puddles/sprays fuel into the combustion bowl and the top of the piston. The two hole has two dispersion angles. Here is a manual I found. I cant remember where I had found it but it is a manual from continental date 1965. It has a lot of good information in it.
That manual has been here for years, nothing new. There have been many articles written in the 1960's about the multifuel engine and yes it is a true diesel engine. It just can handle using many different fuels for combustion. Direct injection into the combustion area. Compression to heat and fire off the mixture. It is a diesel engine. I am surprised you have a head manufactured by "MAN" since they are a German company, and according to the military contract all parts where to be manufactured in the U.S.A. The original designers of the multifuel are of course German but "Continental" purchased the rights to this engine. I would like to see a picture of those heads. Also they went to the two hole injector just like I said for the better performance it gives.
There was also a 20:1 compression piston used. There are much higher compression engines out there which also use turbos to increase power. As a diesel mechanic I'm sure you realize it is the "Heat" that kills diesel engines not compression, hence all the "pyrometers" on diesel engine trucks.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

+1 on that. I've never seen, or noticed one either. Of course, three of my engines are continental, 4 are White, and one is a Hercules, only one is a non TD block, and that is the one I just pulled out of my truck, still running. I ran the crap out of that engine and never had an issue except for oil leaks. Put over 40,000 miles on it, and I think all it even needs now is a set of rings.

I guess my point is after all that... does the brand on the data plate make a difference, or did MAN do castings for all of them?

rustystud

012-MAN_logo.png
Any fhance of you posting a pic of the "man" symbol? I've never seen one and would like to know what it looks like. For all the conjecture this thread has, its nice to be getting good info.
Maschinen fabrik Augsburg Nurnberg . Machine Fabrication of Augsburg Nurnberg Germany.

I worked on these busses for years.

rustystud

+1 on that. I've never seen, or noticed one either. Of course, three of my engines are continental, 4 are White, and one is a Hercules, only one is a non TD block, and that is the one I just pulled out of my truck, still running. I ran the crap out of that engine and never had an issue except for oil leaks. Put over 40,000 miles on it, and I think all it even needs now is a set of rings.

I guess my point is after all that... does the brand on the data plate make a difference, or did MAN do castings for all of them?
I could find no evidence that "MAN" produced any parts for Continental or White or Hercules.

Jeepsinker

I know the design did come from them in the first place. Maybe he has a rarity??? A trial engine or something? Or maybe they made replacement castings at some point?

Jeepsinker

ShawnIfert

The heads TNJ Murrary have are the late model with all of the update to prevent cracking between the valves. The heads are complete with the studs valves and springs for 400 buck. They were used on both Lds and ldt. They were the last heads made for the 465. They have the old man symbol on them. It is a sheild with a m in the center if I remeber correctly. They still could have been made in the USA just under man license.

ShawnIfert

on the head they are on the top of the head or under the valve cover. I cant remember. The heads are machined on 5 sides so it is on the top some where.

rustystud

Did you see the little paragraph about TV signal that was transmitted by laser in a laboratory? How they believe up to 160 channels worth of TV data could be transmitted on a laser? And this was 1963... Funny how we have the illusion that all the things we have are modern ideas.
I really got a kick out of the stereo in a suitcase. It only weighs 15Lbs ! Can you imagine that ! Things have changed so fast in my lifetime that it's really hard for my son to imagine what my childhood was like. Just imagine what his kids will say about him some day. "WOW dad ! You really had to drive your car ?!?!?!?! What did that feel like ? "

rustystud

MAN logo.jpg
The heads TNJ Murrary have are the late model with all of the update to prevent cracking between the valves. The heads are complete with the studs valves and springs for 400 buck. They were used on both Lds and ldt. They were the last heads made for the 465. They have the old man symbol on them. It is a sheild with a m in the center if I remeber correctly. They still could have been made in the USA just under man license.
This Logo has been M.A.N. 's emblem since the early 1900's . I have a picture from 1926 showing a dump truck with this emblem. They never used a shield with just a "M" in the middle. So your heads where not made by M.A.N. . The "M" more then likely means "Multifuel" .