• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS427 Multifuel

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas 2-1/2, 5-tons were all manual engagement starters. Bet that starter came off a 6602 originally. Does this mean that you now have another LDS IP? Is this a -1 or -1A, looks like the pump off a -1 engine.

Boy did I miss the title. . . . . . LDS 427 My mind was in LDS-465 land. Gee whiz, yes the 427 had a manual starter, since they were the gas conversions engine. All gas engines had manual starters. Never mind about the IP, it is a step down from the LD, LDT IP.

I have got to slow down and read the topic better.........

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas 2-1/2, 5-tons were all manual engagement starters. Bet that starter came off a 6602 originally. Does this mean that you now have another LDS IP? Is this a -1 or -1A, looks like the pump off a -1 engine.
I think it does not have an IP on it Mark. But I will know for sure here in a little bit, he is busing getting batteries out of his Deuce to get something started, the wrecker I think so he can put another MF into a trailer and bring it up here.

We turning the old barn into another military storage facility. ;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is an LDS427 IP. I don't know if they are as hot as the LDS4651A pumps, but it will get installed on my test motor to see if it works.

SWB and I took a quick video of the starter today, it works as expected. He should post it up sometime soon.

gimpyrobb

I could care less really. Many worry about it, but you can turn an LDT up to similar performance as an LDS, I'll turn the 427 pump up to match the LDS. A working pump is all I'm looking for.

gimpyrobb

This is my first tinkering with a 427, but I agree. It will be interesting to see what I find when tearing it apart.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture of the 427 on the way to the barn, a pic of the LDT (clearer pic) and a couple of better pics of the starter. We did a video but it shows everything but it running. For a test engine that starter will be the cat's azz.

20141214_182340.jpg
20141214_183029.jpg
20141214_180432.jpg
20141214_180505.jpg

You jumper a wire from the switch on the lever and when the lever moves towards the motor it turns the starter.

Westech

CPL
I would not say all the gassers were first reset with 427's (or manual starters)
My last deuce was a 1955 and was not converted to Multi fuel untill 1971 (ish)
that was a push button.
But in the first few years I would say you are correct until the 465 came out :)

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
With a little pump and timing adjustment you could be in the LDS area.

All joking aside with the same stroke as a 465 just a smaller bore, even with all the pump and timing adjustments it would still act like a 305 compared to a 350. I think you can make it put out some good power but cubic inches is cubic inches.
If the 427 had better heads or intake things would change but from what I am seeing most parts are the same between the engines.

gimpyrobb

Make no mistake, this motor will not run. I am dissecting it for parts. Just so you know, the heads are the same as an LDT there is just very minor difference in the valve shape. We were talking about the IP making power when installed on and LDT.