• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS465-1C Injector pump

armyvet67

I have a M35A2 that seems to have excess smoke at idle, but my fuel mileage is pretty good. I was wondering if there are any adjustments on the fuel injection pump that would reduce the smoke at idle? If anybody could help it would be appricated.

Thanks very much.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black, blue or white? Hot or cold or all he time? Does it smoke under load at highway speed also? Have you driven it hard for atleast 45 minutes lately?

armyvet67

I drive it about 55 each week. It smokes (Black) worst at cold idle. I think that it is getting a little to much fuel and or running a little (RICH). Are there any adjustments on the Injector pump for a little to much fuel? Thanks for your reply.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, look at the "troubleshooting the lds" TM. Look at the droop screw adjustment(idle-1600) rpm, iirc.

You probably should confirm your IP is timed correctly also.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, also check you air intake and filter. Make sure it's reasonably clean and no obstructions.

derby

With the LDS isn't it supposed to smoke alot? My dump smokes like an old steam train until you get up to speed and then it clears right up. and i get 7mpg:oops:

Flyingvan911

With the LDS isn't it supposed to smoke alot? My dump smokes like an old steam train until you get up to speed and then it clears right up. and i get 7mpg:oops:
That's what mine does too. The smoke at idle is white-ish blue. It does not seem to be loosing or making any coolant or motor oil. The smoke cleans up well at speed. Mine is a LDS465-1A. The C turbo sounds great.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, the reason these engines/trucks went out of production was, they could not meet emissions standards. You can not expect them to burn clean all the time.

armyvet67

Airfilter

I checked my air filter Doghead and it was the one on my truck when I picked it up at GL and it looked ok from the outside but for some reason the filter was old I guess and it was completely stoped up very little air flow. I installed a new air filter and my truck ran a lot better and has very little black smoke now.

Thanks very much for your help.

midcounty

Hmmm, got me wondering if I should change my air filter. I looked at it when I got it home, and like you said it 'looked' ok. My gauge doesn't indicate a problem, but I do get alot of black smoke at cold idle. We just got our first cold snap last week, and it was a bit slow to start.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The appearance has little indication. I was using the filter that came with my M62 for years. When I decided to buy one at a "good price" so I had a backup, I tried it out on the truck and had a HUGE drop in EGTs. That original one is in the trash now.

midcounty

Time to order a couple filters I guess. One for current truck, one for truck that is sitting on GL's lot, and may as well have a spare.

23st52

i need help from somebody that knows about injection pumps my duece was stuck from sitting to long before i got it so i had it gone though by a local shop put it back on and it ran for half an hour then quit took the pump back off and brought it in several times they have said now try this or it should be working we have followed the timing marks by the book but i have to be missing something

this last time that i got it back it smokes when cranking but does not fire the truck fires up and runs if you feed it through the intake so i don't believe that it is a motor problem

please i need some help on this one.