• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT 465 1C engine noise

rlp094

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine noise

Have this same noise in my M35A2. Thought it may need valve adjustment. Took it to a diesel mechanic for adjustment and he found that one lobe on no 1 camshaft was worn down about a 1/4". He said it may go 10,000 miles before it finally misfires. Otherwise seems to run fine.

Jeepsinker

Cam wear will eventually happen in all of our trucks because motor oil these days has no ZDDP in it to speak of. Mine recently developed a ticking sound too, and if it is because of cam wear then that would explain why my truck is down on power. I swapped my injectors out today and it didn't get any better.

rustystud

Cam wear will eventually happen in all of our trucks because motor oil these days has no ZDDP in it to speak of. Mine recently developed a ticking sound too, and if it is because of cam wear then that would explain why my truck is down on power. I swapped my injectors out today and it didn't get any better.
You can take the valve covers off and check the total valve lift by measuring how much the valves move downward with a dial indicator. This way you will know that your cam is either bad or that you have another problem.
I always add a "ZDDP" additive to my oil every oil change.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to adjust the valves and see where they are at. Pushing down with a wood block is only going to cause clearance at one end or another... like a teeter totter (spelling?). its the cheapest thing you can do and a good PM activity.

jacklegjim

I have been trying to focus on getting this truck finished and fixing the engine noise so I can make my first trip to the GA rally with it this fall.
I ordered a set of rod bearings and rod bolts because that's what I thought the problem was. After pulling the pan and inspecting the bearings
all is good on the bottom end. So I pulled the rear head and the top of number 6 piston has melted away.
So now I am looking for a piston and liner. So far all I can find is the three ring LDS piston. I want to replace it with four ring piston.
This is a good running engine it started this past winter at 9 degrees like it was warm.I have not had it on the road yet because it was not running
when I got it and the engine has been making the noise since I have had it. I just wanted to give an update on the cause of the noise.
Jim

Attachments

brianp454

That's too bad, sorry for your loss. Are you sure the piston oiler(s) are spraying on the back side of that cylinder? I'm curious as to why only that one cylinder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks