• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT Head Gasket swap. How many shop hours?

Tototex

I contacted the seller to send them back. That means I'm out a week or two waiting on the new gaskets though... what a shame. Hopefully I will remember how to put all this back together then.

Should have bought them from Gimpy :p

Tototex

Ehhh, its hard to say it was the seller, I've had the post office mangle lots of my mail.
I definitely dont think it was the seller. USPS for sure. We've all seen the occasional package mangled from any carrier. I just meant that circumstances would have been different and the package would have likely not been handled by the same people or at the same time.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might include a note to seller to print "do not fold" on the box.
You are such an optimist! Refreshing to think that the grimy grumpy dude with head phones that is stomping all over the mail he just spilled in the sorting center might actually care enough to read a note :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have put sheet metal in boxes to ensure the product was shipped and received in good condition. Sometimes it takes me longer to package things than it does to sell them!

Tototex

I cleaned my block up and noticed the back two pistons have some damage. They have indents on the edge facing each other. Also, the metal ring around the piston hole is slightly bumped up.

0913161407c.jpg0913161407d.jpg

Is this indicative of an issue? What can be done?

yolner

I cleaned my block up and noticed the back two pistons have some damage. They have indents on the edge facing each other. Also, the metal ring around the piston hole is slightly bumped up.

View attachment 643756View attachment 643755

Not sure if this situation requires it, but I do know that you can still get piston/liner kits on the big auction site and from some parts dealers.

rustystud

View attachment 643756View attachment 643755

Looks like you will be replacing some pistons. Some how something has come in contact with the piston crowns and ripped out chunks. I know it looks small but the damage can be extensive to the rest of the piston crown. It also allows compression gasses an easier access to the sides of the piston and could over a short period of time erode the piston to cause serious trouble. Of course you could just button it up and drive it until it breaks. Who knows, maybe something totally different will break before the pistons cause any trouble !
It's hard to see, but are the liners OK ? Are there any scratches down the walls ? If there is then replace the pistons and liners now. If not then you could probably get away with doing nothing to the pistons.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally all wrapped up. Just need to go see if it starts. Do I need to bleed the injectors or should it just start up?
If your in-tank fuel pump is working ok, startup should not be a hassle. Switch the Aux power switch on and let the pump run for a couple of minutes to prime everything. Then start cranking. It will need some extra cranking but should fire up without opening the injector lines. I keep the fuel pedal to the floor when cranking (although it should not be required; the injection pump is commanding WOT at this point anyway). It just makes me feel...important.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When I have had the fuel system opened up, I usually let the in-tank pump run for 30-40 seconds, open the bleeder on the secondary filters till all the air is out then close it. Next I'll open the pass side windshield, put truck in neutral, hold a can of ether in right hand, hit the starter button. Some times they will fire right up, some times not.

If not I'll hit the starter again, spray the ether at the intake mushroom for a few seconds and wait for her to catch. One that initial spray gets her to fire, she operates normally from that point on.

Tototex

I just left the fuel pump on for about 5 minutes before turning the ignition and she fired up without skipping a beat. I know there wasn't a drop of fuel in the fuel lines around the injectors. I guess bleeding isn't really needed on these rigs.

Well, that concludes my project. My RPM gauge and thermostat did not work before I started this job but are working now, so there is a win there! I drove it around some dirt roads and everything seems to be peachy. Now lets just hope she holds together. Planning on putting her to work this weekend. This is actually a 5 ton dump with an LDT engine. Excited to go haul some much needed gravel to my driveway.

I can't thank you guys enough for holding my hands through this. I'll pay your kindness forward!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks