• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT in something other than a Deuce?

namedpipes

I noticed a thread on a Deuce with a V8 and I've seen some similar stories in the past.

I wonder has anyone popped an LDT into something else?

For instance I have an old Dodge Ram p/u. It's big and slow (not as big or slow as a Deuce) and pulls strong. I just wonder how it would work with a huge multifuel in it instead of the 360 v8?

It seems reasonable it would get as good or better milage as a Deuce (and with the V8 it only gets ~10mpg anyway!). I'd think it would be peppier without the extra 11 +/- tons. I expect it would be interesting getting it stuffed under the hood.

Not seriously thinking of doing this but I'd love to hear how it worked out if anyone has.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce motor would not fit in anything smaller than a 'medium' sized truck. I have been dieing to put two whistlers in an old WWII Navy centercab locomotive at the museum that needs new engines. Anyone got an old LDT sitting around they would donate to a museum? good tax write off and it would be cool to hear a multifuel locomotive!

whyme

i doubt many have, if any at all. the multifuel is large, heavy, and lacks power. unless someone is specifically looking towards the fuel capabilities of the engine i cant see any advantage given anything big enough to hold it would likely have a more powerful engine and anything else would likely be overwhelmed buy the size and weight.

jesusgatos

A deuce motor would not fit in anything smaller than a 'medium' sized truck.
My Grandpa put a HUGE Cat motor in an old Suburban. Forget exactly what it was, but it was really freakin' big. He had to have custom springs made, and was never able to find a rear axle with a high enough gear ratio to take advantage of all that torque. He told me he guessed that something like 0.75:1 would have been about the ideal gear ratio. Hah. Just sayin' anything's possible...

My Grandpa put a HUGE Cat motor in an old Suburban. Forget exactly what it was, but it was really freakin' big. He had to have custom springs made, and was never able to find a rear axle with a high enough gear ratio to take advantage of all that torque. He told me he guessed that something like 0.75:1 would have been about the ideal gear ratio. Hah. Just sayin' anything's possible...

Man has a point, DieselPower mag had a story a while back about a guy that put an N-14 cummins in an F150 (very intersting picture set with how he set it up) granted he mounted the motor in the bed, it was still done.

put your mind to it and you can put anything in anything ;-)

whyme

i guess i didnt look at the first post from the perspective of "Why Not?". def a mistake on my part given that this is a group of people who's common interest is former military vehicles... practicality need not apply. rofl

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same engine, less multifuel capability, was used in White 2-135 and 2-150 farm tractors and in Oliver 2050 and 2150 tractors. Attached are photos of a White 2-135 with a planter on it. These engines are very dependable in these tractors. this one has over 4,000 hours on it.
Low power??? I disagree heartily with that statement. We have ported and gasket matched the head, done a little combustion chamber work, and worked with the fuel system and governor on one of our engines in a deuce. We have been running it for about three years with no problems. It will turn the tires on hard pavement if you want to.
We wanted to put one in a one ton Dodge Cummins, but it was too tall. It would reliably put out sufficient, more dependable power then the 5.9 with less costly modifications. I have seen what 5.9's will do when set up, I had one, and I greatly respect them. I have concluded there is no substitute for the "meat and potatoes" in the heavier built 478 engine giving longer life at high power levels. I sold the Dodge in favor of using the deuce as our implement trailer pulling workhorse. The weight of the truck makes us feel more secure with a total load of 23,000 pounds behind it.
Regards Marti

Attachments

jesusgatos

Low power??? I disagree heartily with that statement. We have ported and gasket matched the head, done a little combustion chamber work, and worked with the fuel system and governor on one of our engines in a deuce. We have been running it for about three years with no problems. It will turn the tires on hard pavement if you want to.
We wanted to put one in a one ton Dodge Cummins, but it was too tall. It would reliably put out sufficient, more dependable power then the 5.9 with less costly modifications. I have seen what 5.9's will do when set up, I had one, and I greatly respect them. I have concluded there is no substitute for the "meat and potatoes" in the heavier built 478 engine giving longer life at high power levels.
Really? Mmmmmm, not sure about that.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... the multifuel is large, heavy, and lacks power. unless someone is specifically looking towards the fuel capabilities of the engine i cant see any advantage .....
I concur. With my other diesel interests, most discussions are about doing more with less. For example replacing a slow turning, 4 liter, normally aspirated 6 cylinder inline long stroke motor with a direct injected, turbo charged 4 cylinder 2 liter motor and gaining power and torque in the process. Doing more with less and retaining the torque curves is a huge driving force of swaps.

The multifuel has some distinct characteristics to exploit, but efficiency and power are not of them. Having familarity, access to cheap parts or needing a flex fuel motor are certain characteristics that would cause you to consider the multifuel.

My .02C

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks