• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT/LDS/LDS-1a/LDS-2

area52

What are the differences between the LDT/LDS engines?

What if anything will swap between the two? The LDS-2 is more powerful yes? Why?
Whats the diifference between the LDS and LDS-1a?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the manual: see attachments

More power: the LDS 465-2 just looks to be better prepaired to accept more fuel over extended periods, specially regarding piston cooling.

Attachments

jatonka

I just took a LDT-1C out of one of my M35A2s and totally dismantled it. That engine definitely does have piston oilers in it. It had 2 hole injectors. it had a whistler turbo. it also had #4 connecting rod poking holes in the block and oil pan. I found a failed O-ring in the front sump oil pickup screen. There was lots of oil in the push rod/rocker arm area, the sleeves still had oil behind them too. Maybe the engine overspeeded? maybe the oil system failed? jatonka

area52

I realized that the LDS made more power, just trying to figure out why. So different pistons, injectors do it? Externally they are all the same? So you can use a deuce exhaust manifold on a 5 ton multifuel( LDS) ?

My internet connection is dial up so it takes 30 minutes for me to open a TM, thats why I don't look at em'!
thanks for the info

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....goverened at a higher rpm (2,800), higer oil pump capacity (29 gpm vs 22) and IP set for higher fuel delivery (90 lb/hr vs 80 and 64 for the "-1" and deuce respectively).....

Yes, same exhaust manifold.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LDS usally has a larger turbo with a exaust brake on them aslo. But alot of them went through a rebuild at toole utah and parts got swapped around. I installed a LDS465-1A in a M35 last feb for a company in north texas. I had to get different pickup tubes for the oil pump and swap the oil pan around. The new engine came with a tag stating it had 2 1/2 ton pistions installed. It had the larger turbo and the truck really flies. If your engine has a toole sticker on the oil filterand/or a rebuild tag obove the alternator then its a crap shoot on what's in there.

2deuce

I'm interested in the differences too. I just bought a LDS465-1a from GSA last week. High bidder backed out and they let me have it being #2. It was rebuilt but never run. It has no injectors but otherwise complete. The write-up on it said 140 hp but none of the above in the chart have that value. I bought it sight unseen and plan on getting it next weekend. What injectors should I be looking for?Will the ones in a LDT work? I thought it would make a good back-up engine for my deuce. Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2deuce,

Get injectors with1-hole injector nozzles if you have the correct code B pump on your 1A engine.

Why back-up?? After only a few changes that 5ton motor is ready to be installed in your deuce. And believe me: once you drive it you'll know the real difference and if you really need a back-up you won't be looking for anything less !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks