• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT465 powered rat rod

drjosjam

Hi folks, I am new to this forum and to Deuce. I am the new proud owner of this rat rod with Deuce engine. It needs some work for me to feel safe driving it at speed even though it is very much drivable as is.

I am not a military person, but a part time civilian physician at Detroit MEPS, doing physicals for aspirants to military.

I am wondering if there is anyone nearby me in SE Michigan who can help me with fab work and check the engine and trans out for me.

I saw two threads in this forum about this rat earlier and have put links there to point to this thread. This will keep everything organized, I hope. #66

Thanks for reading.:smile:$_57.jpg

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I have been wanting to do the same thing (rat rod) but when they were selling the V-8 Detroits cheap I missed my chance. Using an Allison transmission to avoid clutch and linkages would have made a bad a$$ hot rod. There is nothing like the sound of a two stroke, V-8 Driptroit running wide open.
I have heard that the multi-fuels were used in white tractors at one time and some of them were hot rodded at the tractor pulls.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck looks pretty well put together, but it's hard to really tell in a video. Nothing glaring you you in the face though. I've collected some parts to build one down the road!

drjosjam

It is a nice concept and cool build. But I need to do a lot of work on it before I feel safe driving it on roads. Here are the issues I need to fix. Some are not critical.

- Put new front suspension. This looks weak for a 2k engine sitting on top of it.
- Improve brakes, either increase leverage on pedal or add brake booster.
- Improve clutch pressure, likely by increasing leverage.
- Paint the frames.
- Redo wiring with 24v and 24v to 12v reducer. Currently it is a single tap for 2 batteries.
- Add 24 volt alternator, preferably original.
- Currently the engine is welded to the frame, LOL, need to put rubber mounts.

A bunch of other small things. I found a local Deuce owner who will help with wiring.
Is there anybody local who can help with fabrication work? It will be a nice side job for a talented fabricator. Maybe a free physical too LOL.
Thanks for all the input, folks.

drjosjam

After extensive research, I have decided to use a Crown Victoria police interceptor IFS for front suspension. I will feel a lot safer than having the whole rat rod weight hanging on 2 studs that are only 1/2" in diameter.:cool:

I am trying to find a unit locally. I found an OEM 24 V alternator on ebay for a decent price and it is being shipped.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you want to go with an independent front suspension? I think the straight front axle (maybe a heavier duty one like you mentioned before) would look like the part more. I think with the look of it, all rat rods have straight front axles. But, respectfully it is your ride and you can do as you wish. That is what is fun, anything is possible! Do you have any pictures of somebody using one of those Crown Vic front suspensions in a rat rod? Maybe it will grow on me... haha! :driver:

drjosjam

Tom, IFS would save me a ton of fabrication and time as this is a bolt on with only a little welding to widen the frame in part. Trust me, I will make sure it will look fabulous. I will be putting front fenders too later.

61sleepercab

Have you driven it enough to make sure the radiator will handle the engine cooling? It is hard to see if it is a deuce radiator in a bigger shell. You have to remember your engine and tranny weight is between the two axles and probably split evenly. You should have the truck weighed and each axle weighed separately to know how well the weight is distributed by the chassis. Remember that lots of vehicles had transverse springs without any trouble. I had a 48 Ford coupe with that set up and ran fine.
I would worry more about stopping power as you are trying to stop a wrecking ball out front. Do the brakes do a good job? Have fun! Mark

drjosjam

Have you driven it enough to make sure the radiator will handle the engine cooling? It is hard to see if it is a deuce radiator in a bigger shell. You have to remember your engine and tranny weight is between the two axles and probably split evenly. You should have the truck weighed and each axle weighed separately to know how well the weight is distributed by the chassis. Remember that lots of vehicles had transverse springs without any trouble. I had a 48 Ford coupe with that set up and ran fine.
I would worry more about stopping power as you are trying to stop a wrecking ball out front. Do the brakes do a good job? Have fun! Mark
I have not driven the vehicle yet since I am modding it. The previous owner drove 500 miles and said the even the electric fan never came on as the temp was very low. Maybe because the engine is not under strain due to the low weight? I am not worried about it as there is lot of space for a bigger radiator if needed.

The engine weight is more to the front, the frame is 2x4 3/16 tubing and looks very sturdy. The axle and ancillaries are meant for a T bucket and only rated for a 2500 pound vehicle. The spring shackles are attached by a .5 inch bolt only, that is the weakest link and it may shear. The brakes are not adequate and will be changed also to 12 inch rotors and either vacuum or hydraulic booster with the mods.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone posted the videos awhile back. Glad you bought it and are making it your own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks