• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaf and Rodent Protection for my 803

csheath

I originally set my 803 on the ground and it has been sucking leaves up into the engine compartment. Add to that a squirrel has decided it looked like a fun place to store and eat acorns. Fortunately he did not munch on any wires.

I was also wanting to drag it out to remove the top and wash the radiator out. It had some fins clogged with dirt that I overlooked when I first set it up. I drug it out from under the shed to remove the top and give it a good cleaning.

A friend was giving away some 12" pavers so I put a layer of those down where the generator resides. I used my front end loader with some clamp on forks and trailer straps to position the generator on the pads.

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

I decided to add the hardware cloth to the skid openings rather than put it underneath where I can't monitor it. This way I can see if it's getting full of leaves. On the side holes I have just cut it large enough it holds itself in place but I plan to add some screws to make sure it stays. On the front end I pried up one corner at a time with a crowbar and put it under the skid then I folded it up and attached it with screws. On the fuel tank end I also put it under the skids but I screwed the wire to a piece of aluminum channel then attached it to the skids on the ends. (didn't want to screw up and drill into the tank)

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

I still need to cover the large holes on the case with some 1/4" hardware cloth.

csheath

Squirrel probably entered through that square hole in the bottom of the case. My batteries cover the other 2 round holes.
The problem I might have if I covered that hole is it could get clogged with leaves and I wouldn't know it.