• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaf spring dilema....

4bogginchevys

so basically my question is: which leaf spring is bad, front or rear.....no springs are broken. Here are the measurements left front 35.5/right front 36.75/left rear 37.25/right rear 38.5. All measurements are from the ground to the top of fenderwell opening in the center.
Basically the drivers side is sagging front and rear, I've gotten some opinions from friends and most poeple think that the LF spring is the reason for sag because it's got the weight if the diesel on it. I remember hearing that the springs on military vehicles are special for a good ride off road, are the fronts special like the rears as far as spring rate goes? I can buy add a leafs for the front for 159.00, but I would rather not start with a bad spring in the front corner. Does anyone have any springs that are good used units for sale, or an opinion that could lead me in a new direction?? Thanks:-D

91W350

My guess would be normal spring sag from the weight of the driver and fuel tank, swap them left to right and let them adjust on their own. ;-)

dstang97

so basically my question is: which leaf spring is bad, front or rear.....no springs are broken. Here are the measurements left front 35.5/right front 36.75/left rear 37.25/right rear 38.5. All measurements are from the ground to the top of fenderwell opening in the center.
Basically the drivers side is sagging front and rear, I've gotten some opinions from friends and most poeple think that the LF spring is the reason for sag because it's got the weight if the diesel on it. I remember hearing that the springs on military vehicles are special for a good ride off road, are the fronts special like the rears as far as spring rate goes? I can buy add a leafs for the front for 159.00, but I would rather not start with a bad spring in the front corner. Does anyone have any springs that are good used units for sale, or an opinion that could lead me in a new direction?? Thanks:-D
I have had at least 8 different chevys and I have come to the conclusion they all sag right from the dealership. go out and buy some mild lift springs if you want to stay close to stock

kassim503

Are you parking it on flat ground? I dont park one of my vehicles on flat ground and ive noticed a little crooked'ness going on. If you do back into your spot and itll fix itself by itself! even if it takes another 20+ years

Croatan_Kid

Nothin special about the leaf springs, just regular GM parts for a 1-ton truck. 91W350 is right though, all of these trucks, military or civilian, sagged to the driver's side since there's a lot more weight on that side. Also, the front leaf springs are flat or somewhat negatively arched.

Just lift it :-D

4bogginchevys

Are you parking it on flat ground? I dont park one of my vehicles on flat ground and ive noticed a little crooked'ness going on. If you do back into your spot and itll fix itself by itself! even if it takes another 20+ years
Yes, I was parked on level ground for checking. I didn't think about the fuel tank being on that side, that with the driver for 25 years will definately cause some sag. All other old chevy's i've had were dual tank trucks so thats why they dont sag like this. As soon as I get some time I will buy the add a leafs for the front and swap springs from side to side in the front aswell, i'll probably keep the rears where they are for now and stack weight on the tall corner if I can when hauling, it'll settle in a while. I might use add a leafs in the rear eventually if the new front springs really pick the front up. This issue really arose with the weight of my plow on the front, thats why I didn't really notice it before, and it's probably a good idea to add a new spring to the front just because of the extra weight. All of this inquiry was prompted because my new 285/75/16s rub a little in the LF corner. Thanks for the info guys, i'll report back with any info I get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks