• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leak help, please. Tranny?

HardCorps79

So my M1009 just started leaking 2 days ago. Leak is a clear slick fluid- smells like diesel kleen (?) I'm taking the truck out for a highway drive a few hours away this weekend, so I'm hoping I can get this fixed. I'm still basically a newb so I'm completely ignorant of what's going on here. I've attached a picture so you can see. Maybe someone can give me a step-by-step help. Thanks!

Attachments

98hd

The description of the fluid makes it sound like diesel fuel. If it's trans fluid it will be a reddish color.

If the line is leaking, I would measure the OD of the line and see if you can get a stainless high pressure compression fitting. Cut out the bad spot install the fitting and it should be good.

HardCorps79

Okay, so I cleaned up the mess around the area and watched the drip actually form. It's coming out of the little hole (see attached pic). Is this hole here for a reason? I'm completely confused. :oops:

Attachments

98hd

That is the bellhousing. There shouldn't be any fluid coming from there, if there was a leak inside it would be engine oil or trans fluid, but your fluid looks like neither.

Check your oil level, just to be sure you haven't filled the engine with ful.

Then I would look for a fuel leak up top on the engine. It may be leaking down and just coming out in a weird spot.

Stonepicker1

If it looks like diesel fuel you may want to to check to see if your injector pump is leaking. look under the air cleaner(top of engine) for any leaks. Somethimes fuel will collect their and run down the back of the engine.

HardCorps79

Okay, so I took the air cleaner off and checked the main engine compartment. It doesn't look like there's any pooling or seeping anywhere around the IP. Lines to and from the fuel filter are good, too. Is there a fuel line that runs over the top of the bellhousing? I checked the oil too, and it's at the right level from the last change (needs another one already...). Tranny fluid level is good- of course, pretty much ruled that out already.

So now what?

Stonepicker1

You could take the bellhousing cover off and clean the area real good. Then start the truck and see where the leak is coming from.
Also check the little rubber fuel lines at the injectors(next to the glow plugs) somethine they get a small hole in them.

HardCorps79

Sounds like fun :twisted:. Never done this before. Is it just a simple removal of a few bolts to take off the bellhousing cover? I'll check the fuel lines at the GPs this afternoon, too. Anything else to look for?

HardCorps79

Alright, so I got under the little beast and took the bellhousing cover off. I found exactly nothing. There didn't appear to be anything but a trace of fluid inside. (and the flywheel looks good, too). I was able to see a bit more and dug around a bit. I checked the fuel lines from tank to engine and through the engine compartment. The only thing that looks suspect is there is a good amount of moisture/leakage around one of the injectors (passenger side, second from front). None of the lines there are cracked or loose, so I wonder if the injector itself is leaking?

Overall the truck is running fine, I just worry a bit about leaking flammable liquids (and the growing spot in my driveway).

Next course of action?

Monkeyboyarmy

I would bet that the throttle shaft o-rings are leaking and as someone said fuel is draining back to the hole in the back of the block.This hole comes out through the back of the block and drains down through the bell-housing.I would again look for leaks at the injector pump.

HardCorps79

Alright, so I checked again today and it is definitely the IP that is leaking. I came out of work to go home for lunch and there's a good amount leaking. Took off the air cleaner and there's diesel pooled on top of the engine block all around the IP. So now what? :confused:

Do I have to remove the entire air intake system to get to the IP to isolate the leak?

What is the first probable cause of the leak? Loose connection at lines to injectors? Bad gasket or seal somewhere? I've checked both the -20 and -34 manuals and they don't cover this.

Funny (or not so funny) thing is, I have an appointment to get the vehicle inspected tomorrow so I can get my tags...

EO2NMCB

Question, did you just get from GL? The seals will dry out if it was sitting for a long time. Bud of mine had the same problem (PC3NMCB), After driving it for a couple of weeks the seals got lubed and quit leaking. If after a couple of weeks of driving there is a chance they will reseal, if not you are looking at a IP rebuild.

HardCorps79

I got if from GL almost 2 months ago. Just been driving it on base mostly, but a few trips out on the highway. Has done really well. Then the end of last week I noticed the leak. The weather has been doing funky things though- lots of extreme temp changes (e.g. 70+ one week, 30 the next).

Is there a seal replacement I can buy readily available/something I can do myself, or am I looking at a complete IP restoration from a pro?

Vehicle was used regularly by the NG unit and had good maintenance records up to less than a year before it went to auction. Only has 49k miles, too. Seems like the IP should have another 40-60k left before replacement.

I'm printing off the TMs right now for the injector line disconnects and air-intake manifold removal so I can check the IP. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for, though- other than loose connections or rotted/leaking seals/gaskets. I'm sure someone on here has done this before.

Bueller? ...Bueller?...

Stonepicker1

I replaced mine about six years ago because it was leaking. Go to the top of the page and do a search for " 6.2 Pump " you will fine some good info thats already been covered. Good luck and let us know what you fine out.

HardCorps79

Okay- so more about the throttle shaft o-rings:

Where on the IP are they? I searched the TMs and couldn't find anything on them.

I was planning on changing the vacuum lines today anyway, so I guess I'm just going to have to dig in a little deeper. It looks the rubber lines at the injectors are all nearly brand new, but I haven't checked anything closer to the pump. Hoping I find something simple and obvious like a loose connection on one of the injector pipes at the pump, or something...

HardCorps79

Think I tracked it down- (I really hope this time!). I actually "caught it red-handed"- saw where it was dripping from- may not be the source of the leak- was hard to tell without completely removing the intake manifold. Here's a picture showing where the drip was (someone care to point out the "throttle shaft"?):

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks