• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Diesel From Filter Housing? New filter didn't fix issue? What to do?

MuddWeiser

I have a BAD fuel leak that seems to be coming from the filter cartridge base plate?

I can't seem to "pinpoint" where the leak is coming from BUT I know it is nowhere near the lift pump, so rotted/pinched fuel line near the motor mount is ruled out.

I pressure washed all the dirt/grime/diesel off the firewall and filter assembly. Drove 30 miles and parked the truck.

The ground is soaking wet, 3 separate puddles but I suspect the reason for 3 puddles is because the fuel is bouncing off frame/suspension components.

I had a look at the filter base and the firewall looks "greasy" under/around the filter.

I replaced the filter but STILL leaking?

Any ideas or solutions would be MUCH appreciated.

It gets COLD here in the winter so if I must replace filter base with newer unit I will need the temperature sensor to work, and would like to keep the water light working as well (we get contaminated diesel here from snow melt all the time.)

Thanks for any help!

Lawrence of Arabia

I had one that leaked at the sensor and I could never get the o-ring to seal so I just replaced the entire base plate with a used one. The sensor is just held in with a spring loaded clip and that was not keeping enough pressure against o-ring

MuddWeiser

The problem I have with a "used" base plate is that they have already been removed from the truck and have been sitting "dry" and the o-rings have subsiquently dried/rotted...

Plus I can't seem to locate a used one?

If I were to replace the filter/housing, I would prefer to get a new filter base and filter. But they don't sell these new anymore. SO is there an aftermarket solution for fuel filter/base assembly that keeps the temp sensor and water sensor and will hook up to existing wiring?

OR is there a supplier of NOS?

airmech

You can purchase a NOS unit from www.oem-surplus.com for 49.95 plus shipping. I had the same issue, this is the cure. The new filter assy doesn't have the fuel pressure sensor(which is normally the cause of the leak), but has the water sensor and heater. Unless you plan to the STE-ICE test set, you will have no use for the pressure sensor and be better off without it.

Croatan_Kid

I've got one laying around, it's pretty fresh off my truck. Never leaked on me, you can pretty much have it. Maybe throw in a few bucks for the drive and pay the shipping, of course. Shoot me a PM if you need it.

MuddWeiser

I found a NOS unit that I purchased this afternoon... I did not know it didn't have the fuel pressure sensor? Is that something I can take of my current unit and add to the NOS unit I just bought?

I don't have the STE-ICE tester, but that is something that was on my "to buy on ebay one day" list... I live in the mountains (6k+ feet) and the truck runs a little sluggish -- though I could get the tester and that would help tune the truck?

Croatan_Kid: Thanks for the offer... Depending on what happens with the unit I ordered this afternoon, I might take you up on your offer!

CUCV85

needed fuel filter housing

I've got one laying around, it's pretty fresh off my truck. Never leaked on me, you can pretty much have it. Maybe throw in a few bucks for the drive and pay the shipping, of course. Shoot me a PM if you need it.
Hey how's your rig running with that Cummins? I miss my Dodge, had the 24v.
If Muddweiser is all set with his newly purchased replacement fuel filter & assembly I could sure use your stock one. Mine leaked like something fierce when I got it from GL. I ended up replacing it with a Fuel Manager Canister type with a 1/2 twist lock top and this damn thing is leaking enough to get my attention. I have tried numerous things and I just want to get back to the original equiptment. Good luck with everything and I enjoy your posts like many others. CUCV85 SSG USAR

Croatan_Kid

I tried to PM you but you don't recieve them.

It runs great, I drive it every day to school and work and I average about 19 mpg. Send me a PM about the filter base.

Cucvnut

i am in dire straights i need a housing mine leaks just like the first post said. i dont have the cash to buy one right now does anyone have one they can send me ? i could really use the help.

Matt

CUCV85

Where's it leaking from? Mine has a slight leak at the water drain - bottom left. It's leaking on the outside of the hose not the inside. I tried to tighten it by hand best I could. I see on hear these original bases tend to leak. From fuel sensor located on the base. I suspect some leak at the o rings where the filter butts up against bace. Bad design, maybe they don't clamp back tight enough? Should've been a spin on filter like the civilian trucks! I have a a bace I can send you but, it will cost you in shipping, brass nipples for fuel lines hook up and for a filter. It's for a Cummins Engine - it's brand new for the newest engine they have. Bought it on Ebay for 7.00
OR you could try this don't know the cost I seen this on here :arrow:
10-01-2009, 08:11
post #12 (permalink)

86M10086.2L
Colonel
86M10086.2L's Profile Fields

Mine started leaking shortly after I bought the truck. I bought a second filter base from guy on here CCatlett (where the heck is he by the way.) I got the new/updated sensors from a guy on Ebay, and I removed the plastic caps taped out the base and installed nipples and brass needle valves. In two years I haven't had any leaks or problems with that setup. And changing filters is a 1 man 5 min affair with no mess. As for filters, never had a problem. Used Wix, AC Delco and Purolator. Never leaked just got clogged if you left them on too long.
Attached Thumbnails

1986 Chevrolet M1008 Formerly assigned to the 8th Medical Brigade of NY/NJ, Troop Seats, Troop/Cargo Cover, ORD Steering Box Brace, ORD Swaybar correct/Quick Disconnect Kit, 4 inch Tuff Cuntry HD Suspension Lift. 36 inch Goodyear Wrangler RT II HMMWV tires on 8 Bolt Military Beadlocks. Comming soon........Winch, Semi-functional Snorkel.

1967 Stevens Manufacturing Co. M416 Trailer

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/#

these modifications maybe inexpensive, Print pictures take entire bace to say Napa and get these fittings, this is what I am thinking of performing.
Also the fuel sensor is said to be able to plug? Seems this is a major contributer to leaks!
:arrow:10-01-2009, 23:30
post #15 (permalink)

86M10086.2L
Colonel

It's usually the sensor. I've heard of some guys taking them out, and just pluging the hole up with a screw. Most will argue that the sensor doesn't really do much anyway.

:?:sorry if I offend anyone by copying from your posts.86M10086.2L
Colonel

It's usually the sensor. I've heard of some guys taking them out, and just pluging the hole up with a screw. Most will argue that the sensor doesn't really do much anyway.

MuddWeiser

Take your filter base out of the truck. Spray it clean.

Take a look at the "compression fit" sensor on the middle/bottom right (if looking from filter side).

Pop the sensor out CAREFULLY. (use a screwdriver and pry it out - careful not to damage the clips).

REPLACE THAT O-RING.

That was the reason my filter base was leaking. That o-ring was bad. GM doesn't sell it - but if you take it to a shop with you, or even maybe a GOOD hardware store you should be able to find a suitable replacement.

I ended up swapping my base with a NOS unit I got on e-bay for $40. Problem is it wasn't setup for that sensor.

I thikn that is a fuel pressure sensor? It doens't effect the truck if you block it off either - so if you get a replacement base without it - OR you cannot find the oring. See if you can thread a brass plug in the hole that feeds that sensor and put yours back together.

MuddWeiser

Keep in mind, yours may be leaking from somewhere else, but I would almost bet money that you are leaking from that o-ring.

Your looking for the LARGE circular shaped sensor on the lower half of the right side (again, looking from front of filter).

An easy way to determine where your leaking is to NOT clean it prior to removal. Once you have it out, look for the "shiniest" area on the filter ---> as leaking diesel is a "GOOD CLEANER".

Chances are, your filter base is really dirty on the sides. If you look around that sensor that I am talking about it will probably be a unusually clean spot. Then you know for sure thats where your leaking.

GOOD LUCK. Let us know if we can help.

ALSO --- Might be a good time to change the fuel lines?

Those rubber lines tend to deteriorate over time and can lead to problems with injection pump (which is a hefty priced repair).

$7 or $8 at an auto parts store will get you new fuel lines. You need 2 different sizes and I forgot what they are, I want to say 1/4 and 5/16 but double check before you purchase.

Cucvnut

i pulled the filter and the o ring on the sensor is cracked a lot in spaces i am going to try to find a o ring if i cant ill get a brass plug for it ill up date after i get back from the parts or hardware store

Cucvnut

well i changed the o ring and it still leaks. I cant find out where its coming from the leak is less so maybe a bigger o ring ?

MuddWeiser

The oring has to be identical. Measure the thickness with a micrometer.

ALSO --- make sure to clean the metal surface that is between the oring and filter. It has to fit perfectly.

If your in a bind and want to guaruntee to stop the leak, just plug the small passageway. Just tap the hole for threads and put a brass pipe fitting in. Use fine thread. Someone told me when I was thinking about doing that to use "all thread" instead of a brass plug. Making sure it was long enough to put a "nut" at the top to torque down onto the housing so the plug doesn't back itself out since the truck vibrates so much...

Would be bad to lose the plug in the middle of nowhere and lose all your fuel!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks