• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking drum/inner axel seal

HeadForTheHills

I have a leak on the rearest inner rim that seems to be the either the drum or the axel seal. I've also read when repairing to replace the cork sealing and make sure the axel vent isn't clogged. So what I'm trying to find out is:: Is the truck safe to drive 15 miles directly to the mechanic? Do I have brakes still? If it's the axel not the drum will that grind my bearings to nothing? Trying to be safe, thanks for the help!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes you can drive it to the wrench tec. it is NOT THE DRUM, will Not grind your bearings to nothing, you will have brakes, just the one wheel will have less, 99.9% that is is the crappy axle vent, you NEED to remove ALL the axle vents (5), this WILL GREATLY reduce you axle, transfer case, transmission, third member leaks, replace the vents with a vacuum manifold ending in a cheap mower fuel filter.

Kaiser67M715

Wait! It could be brake fluid, and if it is, it could mean no brakes, double check brake fluid level carefully, if one wheel cylinder fails, you'll have no brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got gear oil running out behind the wheels, it's the outer axle seal. The inner hub seal only holds the grease in and keeps contaminants out of the bearings. The inner seal won't hold oil so when your outer seal fails, it goes right past the inner seal. Of course you need to replace it all when you're in there.

As mentioned above, just make sure it's gear oil and not brake fluid. If it is brake fluid and can't be repaired where it sits, have it towed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you've got gear oil running out behind the wheels, it's the outer axle seal. The inner hub seal only holds the grease in and keeps contaminants out of the bearings. The inner seal won't hold oil so when your outer seal fails, it goes right past the inner seal. Of course you need to replace it all when you're in there.

Wrong truck, sorry, so changed it since we can no longer a wrong post.

Last edited:

HeadForTheHills

Safe and sound

All has been super helpful info! And I was genuinely wondering if it was brake fluid if all 6 could drain out of one line, so that's awesome info!

The truck (it is a deuce) drove like a champ to the mechanic..! So, very grateful to not find out the hard way it actually was brake fluid! Seems to be like you said: the outer seal..going to replace the seal and go through the 5 axel vents. I looked through the forum section and found some useful info in regard to the job itself, quark key hole? And the axel vents. Any quick links to other postings for the seals and vents I could shoot my mechanic would be awesome otherwise I'll keep navigating through everything!

Thanks again for all the useful info, quick replies, and general concern for safety!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks