• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaking fuel injector

irishvin

Hey guys, here is my problem. When I got the truck (m1008) it had a GP down cylinder, so i pulled it out by taking the injector off. After putting it back together it leaked for a bit so I replaced it with another injector and it stopped leaking. Now I'm having the same problem but worse - as you can see in the pic. It's all over and I don't know where to start... I replaced it once already so I don't know if doing it again would fix the problem. thanks vin
20140307_184039_Castle Point Rd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

paladin1176

That is a lot of fuel coming out. Did you check the return lines for splits? Hard to tell but you might need to put the fuel injector clips on the ends as well.

paladin1176

Try this. Blast it with brake cleaner and dry it all out. Get a good flashlight and long stem mirror, then get a friend to fire it up. Since you have fuel on the block next to the injector you should see a spray or spurt that will tell you where exactly it's leaking from. Might be from the injector line fitting.

paladin1176

Sounds good. I have replaced 2 on mine for leaking between the two parts of the base. Last repair was my own fault. I over tightened the injector line and cracked the flared end.

paladin1176

Isn't that a nylon based fuel line? I was told I need to swap to something along that line since I run biodiesel on a regular basis and it keeps from eating the rubber lines.

paladin1176

I think the other brand is Viton. I don't have any direct experience with either one, just doing some reading up and google searches for when I start replacing all my fuel lines. Would love to replace all of it with rigid stainless with flared fittings....wife wouldn't love the bill for it.

top_prop

Viton is the lining for SAE 30R9 fuel line. Pure Viton fuel line is expensive and typically used immersed in fuel applications. 30R9 is not viable for fuel return lines. The yellow Tygon will do the trick. Take an old injector with you to the small engine shop and slip some over the return nipple and the angles will sing :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

top_prop

^SAE not sale..... Stupid spell check!

(ETA: Thanks Warthog... i was using taptalk on my phone... doesn't offer to edit).

Last edited:

top_prop

You probably use the clear Tygon. The yellow is used if fuel/oil applications and is what I use. It's always been cheaper than clear when I've shopped it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever you do do not use the Dorman lines. They will last about a month.

irishvin

so i took the injector off today. well it seems that the copper seal wasn't put on when it was re-installed... it stopped leaking. now were ready for off road park end of the month!!! iam going to order the return line fuel lines.