• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking like a sieve!

Napoleon_Tanerite

My M1009 is leaking AT LEAST power steering fluid sieve! It also appears to be leaking transmission fluid and my coolant is magically disappearing, though I haven't seen any evidence on the ground of it. Looks like some or most of the cooling lines going to the radiator seem to be the culprit, as they're all pretty wet around the joints where the metal transitions to the rubber hose. Any decent/cheap fixes you guys have found?

bubba_got_you

replace the hoses to the rad , rebuild the ps pump (or box whatever is leaking) and find where the tranny is leaking (probably the pan) and seal it. there ant really any good quick fixis when it comes to leaks. :wink:

acesneights1

All diesels have hydroboost in this vintage. No avaible suffiecient supply of vacuum(the VP on these are a joke). If you are referring to the oil cooler lines that run across the rad they are to my knowledge a dealer only item and very expensive. They always leak at the crimps. I careful person could surgically remove the crimps and use good quality hose clamps, but remember, that is your engine oil in those lines. Line blows, engine no happy....:cry:

Napoleon_Tanerite

All diesels have hydroboost in this vintage. No avaible suffiecient supply of vacuum(the VP on these are a joke). If you are referring to the oil cooler lines that run across the rad they are to my knowledge a dealer only item and very expensive. They always leak at the crimps. I careful person could surgically remove the crimps and use good quality hose clamps, but remember, that is your engine oil in those lines. Line blows, engine no happy....:cry:
I'm talking about the hoses that run from the P/S pump to the brake reservoir, and a similar looking hose that runs from lower down (presumably from the transmission) and into the radiator. Is there a decent ghetto fix for these things? I'd rather not pay out the ass for new hoses, on top of the doubtless asspain that must be involved with changing them out.

On the bright side, I solved my coolant problem. There was a pinhole in the small hose that runs from the main upper coolant manifold into the engine. The reason I wasn't seeing antifreeze on the ground is that it was hitting the engine and either evaporating on contact, or being blown all over the place by the fan and belts and evaporating where it landed.

bjl8691

lmc truck sells pre bent trans cooler lines not that expensive its only a 1 beer job
its$54.95 for the th400 trans cooler lines heres a link hope it helps
there pre-bent simple job with a flare nut wrench
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/full.aspx?Page=124

my trans cooler lines had a leak on my truck i cut the bad part out and used a piece of fuel injection hose and 2 hose clamps but i dont suggest it

Last edited:

BIG_RED

Had to do the tranny pan on mine, I should do the engine oil pan too. If it's engine oil you're leaking, check out the lift pump.. if it isn't all the way on the block, it can actually leak oil. I guess it's push rod, cam lobe on crank, etc throw oil toward the pump while it spins. Some aftermarket turbo kits return oil through the lift pump mounting hole with a special spacer. Had to replace my power steering pump. The "can" reservoir that the pump has all around it often leaks form all the seams once they get old and the sealant cracks. Check the bolts at the back of it that hold the resovoir to the pump - if they are loose it leaks around the bolt holes. Tranny/engine oil cooler lines I would get original or aftermarket rather than rig something up.. blown cooler lines = $$$$.