• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking many fluids!

hood297

Hey guys,

Been looking around the site for about a month now and have my first issues.
Just got my first m35a1 by AM General. Wreckerman picked it up for me from redstone, and me, him, and frieghtrain spent the weekend changing fuel filters, bleeding brakes, and check fluids before I made the 370 mile trip back to Orange beach (south alabama). Well it made it home, but not without leaks. The duece leaks the following:

1. Engine oil (not bad)
2. Transfer case fluid (pretty bad)
3. Coolant (VERY bad)

1. was found before leaving, and just was sure to keep a close eye on the oil level at every stop.
2. was found after about 50 miles of interstate driving, I kept an eye as well on this and made sure I could feel fluid when putting my finger in the fill plug
3. was found about 2 miles from home, and limped home keeping an eye on the temp gauge and keeping RPM's down.

So my questions are.

Transfer case seal the issue? Where do i get one? What fluid to use?

Coolant leaking from where? (see picture) How do I fix that? Which coolant?

thanks in advance for all the help.

Attachments

anthony3478

Hey transfer case seal you can get from Boyce Equiptment, Memphis equiptment, maybe Saturn surplus, if you get it out try local part stores and see if they can cross reference the numbers, they might have it.Your coolant leak seems to be a freeze plug, easy fix, about a $1.00 part looks easy to access, all you have to do is remove the old one and drive in a new one

hood297

Well it looks as though it rusted through, Im assuming this old of an engine had steel freeze plugs, and it finally developed a pin hole leak, or spray.

I went and picked up a new plug and will try to get the old one out and new one in this afternoon. hopefully it is a 3/4" plug. It was the closest I could find.

Thoughts on what type of coolant? just regular stuff, or commercial grade?

Thoughts on transfer case fluid? 85W-90 gear oil?

Thanks again guys!

hood297

wow, I'm glad it was just a freeze plug for both of us. My stomach dropped when i saw coolant blowing out of the block. But when I saw the freeze plug i was a lil happier. and fortunately it is fairly easy to get to.

use any sealant on it?

I guess I'm just going to drain the cooling system and refill with commercial truck grade coolant with SCA's. how much does it hold if empty? 5 gallons?

I'm going to top off the Transfer case so I can drive it around while waiting to get my seals. and while i have it apart I might as well do both front and rear seals..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
wow, I'm glad it was just a freeze plug for both of us. My stomach dropped when i saw coolant blowing out of the block. But when I saw the freeze plug i was a lil happier. and fortunately it is fairly easy to get to.

use any sealant on it?

I guess I'm just going to drain the cooling system and refill with commercial truck grade coolant with SCA's. how much does it hold if empty? 5 gallons?

I'm going to top off the Transfer case so I can drive it around while waiting to get my seals. and while i have it apart I might as well do both front and rear seals..
Regarding sealant:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/34646-wtf-freeze-plugs-popping-out.html

Totally empty: 32 quarts. Of course, some will still be in the block. Radiator is about 20 quarts. Maybe a little more.

Search is your friend. We have all gone into great discussion about these topics and more. There is a great thread out there regarding transfer and tranny seals. They are all available from Fed Mogul, Chicago Rawhide and more in various lip designs and materials.

Don't top the transfer too much. Remember the knuckle thing. You don't fill it all the way to the hole.

Welcome!

p.s. - if one freeze plug went like that, you can bet the ones in the front and rear of the heads are going to follow suit soon.

I am not saying to pull the heads off now.... but when it happens, be prepared.

hood297

ok, to update this I have fixed the freeze plug, but the engine oil is leaking much worse now.

Here is a picture of where it is leaking, or near it. (red arrows) It is leaking a drop every 3 seconds or so.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a small hose behind there goes into the fitting on the bottom, from the back, out of sight. It runs up the engine block, about 8 inches, then into the motor. Lubes the injector pump. I would recommend pulling the fender to work on that booger.

cleb

On your transfer case, check where its leaking. Mine is coming out of the speedometer adapter, and I haven't seen/heard of a replacement seal, just buying a new speedo adapter. Check the vent on the tcase as well, could be building up pressure when hot, and forcing fluid out. Mine really flows when hot. My truck is also leaking a lot of oil from the drivers side block around that area. Anyone ever have the compressor bracket/base leak? Or the oil filter base/cooler assembly? Is there a gasket set for that, or just use RTV? I was losing about a quart every 150 miles :/

hood297

stretch, thank you! I'm sure that is where its coming from, because it gradually gets worse and worse. and Is only when the truck is running. Pulling off the entire fender huh? should be fun!

And for the transfer case, I'm going to replace all of the seals anyway, and it very well maybe the speedo sensor. It isn't working anyway so it needs to be replaced.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could do it without pulling the fender... but will be cussing up a storm.

Have to pull the turn signal, to do that, take out the 4 bolts, then unwire it from the bottom.

Fender is held on by 2 or 3 spring loaded bolts to the brace, one bolt near the frame and cab mount, 3 to the cab, and 2 or 3 to a brace, under the cab. Have to unplug the headlight, and blackout headlight. Not a bad job once you look at it. Take about 30 min to do.