• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Oil From Exhaust Flange on Non-Turbo Deuce

Stranger

My starter keeps cutting out because it gets completely covered/soaked in oil from a leak in the exhaust flange.

It is a White LT 465 with about 1000 hours on it. No turbo. It runs great. Oil pressure is consistently 30-40 PSI at 160 degrees. Pressure drops to 20 PSI when the temps get up to 200 degrees. The exhaust color is... typical... for a non-turbo Deuce. At idle you can't even see the exhaust. When you hit the throttle it blows black smoke. I have attached a picture. Its looking up from the ground at the flange. The oil covered starter is at the bottom.

Does this spell trouble on the horizon? Wait. Let me rephrase that. Does this spell more than the usual amount of trouble on a 47 year-old military truck.

I wasn't able to find anything in the TMs about this one. Any help?

20170101_170319_resized.jpg

snowtrac nome

more than likely its un burnt fuel called slobber caused from excessive idle time and low temps if idling for periods over 5 minutes pull the hand throttle out and bring it up to a thousand rpm

Stranger

I initially thought that as well, but this happened after I had it out on the highway for ~30 minutes running 2500 RPM. It was a warm day so engine temps were around 200 degrees for a full 20 minutes.

Anyway, a new gasket has already been ordered, but I don't want to mask a problem by moving fuel/oil/whatever into the muffler.

snowtrac nome

it can take time to burn out slobber I work on heavy equipment in a cold environment I see this all the time could also be bad valve seals on the exhaust valves. I should add this is assuming the rest of your engine is in good mechanical condition.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your oil level.

Smell it too, possible fuel in it?

Stranger

The engine is running great. Oil level is right where it should be. Maybe a half-quart to a quart low. Doesn't smell like diesel.

I replaced the seal on the fuel pump last year after it started dumping diesel in the oil. Doesn't look like its making oil.

jacklegjim

I had the same issue on my non turbo m275
and it was the exhaust valves and guides. It would actually spray a
mist of oil from the exhaust with the pipe removed.
I had the machine shop put new guides and valves in it.
That fixed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks