• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking out of bellhousing 1990 M932A2 Allison

I got her pretty cheap...always had a leak that appears to be coming from inside the bellhousing. Before I go and pull the whole Tcase and transmission, am I overlooking any miracle, more simple fix? I am assuming rear main seal...leaving a pretty good puddle of engine oil now.

Jeepsinker

It is going to be either the rear main, a plug in the back of the cam bore, or a threaded oil galley plug has loosened up and is leaking. It may also be leaking from the transmission itself. Have you checked to see if the transmission is filled with engine oil instead of trans fluid? It may be the transmission front pump seal.

74M35A2

Could be the trans pump front seal, or the torque converter also. Old style torque converters had a drain plug, I have no idea if the Allison trans has that. Either way, it doesn't really matter, because you are going to have to split the engine/trans junction to find out and fix it.

Thanks for the quick answers...I pretty much knew I was going to have to pull it. I will update on my findings. I am going to put a bottle of UV dye in the motor (have another small leak anyway)....if the drip glows the blacklight...I know where it started from and will give me a head start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks