• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaking power steering fluid leak need info

rookie

I have a power steering leak coming out of the fan clutch area i have removed the coupling that hooks up the hose to the fan and loosened it and added teflon and then put it back together i had no leaks did that on sunday .then today monday i see a little spot on my driveway weird . I have to follow the hose that goes up to see if its leaking from the other fitting any help would be appreciated thanks rookie

Last edited by a moderator:

papakb

Bite the bullet and pull your fan clutch off and replace the O rings in it. The trucks that have been sitting for long periods can trash the O rings and spring leaks when they try to start recycling again. Wear gloves and keep bandaids handy, you'll need them. This isn't a difficult job but it's somewhat inaccessible and the fans blades will cut you up. It's a good time to install a quick disconnect in the hydraulic line going over the the clutch since it needs to be disconnected if you ever change belts.

Kurt

rookie

Hey Kurt thanks for the intell my fan clutch does have a quick disconnect I will try to retighten the quick disconnect some more and look to see if I have any leaks. My fan also isn't kicking on. But when I disconnect the little square box next to the cadilac valve I think it's the time delay for the fan. Well when I disconnect that the fan kicks on so maybe I should replace the time delay what else should I look at thanks in advance

rookie

War horse I'll make sure to keep an eye on the quick disconnect u think it will be smart to change it and get a new one. Also on the the fan clutch not turning on u think it could be the time delay.

papakb

The time delay relay is a problematic item and one you should carry as a spare. Luckily, the failure mode is the fan running continuously which is noisy but won't hurt anything other than wasting power. With the engine running you should be able to unplug either of the connectors and watch the clutch move about 1/4". If it doesn't then it's time to look at the clutch. You can also do this test with air pressure into the hydraulic line. Disconnect the line at the solenoid valve and shoot 100# air into the line and the clutch should move. DO NOT START THE ENGINE or you'll spend the rest of the day cleaning up transmission fluid!

Kurt

rookie

Kurt my problem is the fan clutch not turning on i let it pass 200 degrees and still no fan but when i disconect the time delay it turns on the fan does that mean my time delay switch is bad maybe it went bad in closed position. Could that be possible.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt my problem is the fan clutch not turning on i let it pass 200 degrees and still no fan but when i disconect the time delay it turns on the fan does that mean my time delay switch is bad maybe it went bad in closed position. Could that be possible.

Most likely the TDM...but is your truck truly at temp to turn on? Don't rely on the gauge...also, it does not turn on at 200, most of the time it's 215...but again, the gauges are highly inaccurate.
if your in a cold climate, it may never turn on.
also could be the thermostatic switch in the water crossover...they do go bad, that switch is what senses the temp and sends or stops 24v to the TDM which in turn allows or denies 24v to the Cadillac valve where the fluid pressure is.

rookie

I ordered the quick disconnect from the fan clutch that's where I found it leaking from ordered from kascar should be here tomorrow will keep u updated on what the problem is I don't want to run the truck much with it dripping power steering it's not much but just enough to make it annoying

ClarkeF

The spec to turn on the fan clutch is 220 degrees. 200 won't cut it. Also don't trust your gauges. Check water temp vs gauge with a IR probe until you get a sense for the accuracy of your temp gauge.

As Kurt said the default is fail safe (fan engaged) when the TDM is disconnected. If you are not sure if it's working correctly, disconnect the TDM until you have a chance to go through the TM troubleshooting and verify proper operation. The leak could be hose, quick disconnect or the clutch.

Another thing to try instead of disconnecting the TDM is run the steering wheel all the way to one end and hold it there for 5 or so seconds. At least on mine, you will hear the fan fully engage.

I learned that when working on bleeding the steering system per the TM instructions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks