• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Secondary Fuel Filter at the bolt

777Jackpot

MEP 803A; running excellent for five years now. I serviced the unit this weekend with new batteries, oil/ filter and fuel filters. My problem is I replaced the secondary fuel filter with a Baldwin PF847 I was given by my parts store that actually had the little O-ring for the bolt, the O-ring seal for the top of the cartridge and the big O-ring seal for the canister. Once installed It leaks at the bolt when tested. I know this is simple thing here but I am at a loss at the moment. I thinking the little O-ring is not fully sealing because it is smaller than the lost OEM that came off of it. I checked the TMs and cannot find a drawing of the secondary fuel filter nor is it listed in the parts TM.... I want to make sure I put it back together properly with O-rings, washer and the spring. Can anyone think of what I am missing, see picture layout. All the filters on-line I've found on-line do not provide the special additional O-rings other that the cartridge seal.

At my age I usually take pictures of projects as I disassemble because I easily get distracted from all my other responsibilities! (Not today) Also, again, I would like to thank all the FOLKS who have helped me along when I bought this genset; total refurbish of the fuel system and helping my neighbor with his 803A injector issues,,,,Thanks!

SteveE

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Open up TM 9-2815-253-24P. Turn to (PDF Page #24) FIGURE 4. Fuel Pump and Lines. The picture you want is there. It looks like you are missing Item #19. There should be 2 or them, and I think in your picture there is only 1. There may be other O-rings missing. Look.

2Pbfeet

I believe that the little o-rings are dash 202, viton. E.g.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

777Jackpot

Open up TM 9-2815-253-24P. Turn to (PDF Page #24) FIGURE 4. Fuel Pump and Lines. The picture you want is there. It looks like you are missing Item #19. There should be 2 or them, and I think in your picture there is only 1. There may be other O-rings missing. Look.
Your right, missing one of the O-rings, #19. Thanks for pointing me to the proper tech manual. I should have known to look in the Onan engine manual. I’ll see if I can find the O-rings now. Thanks for the replies!

2Pbfeet

Keep in mind that these engines are metric and may not conform to the AS spec dash sized o-rings standards.
That is certainly true that the engines aren't straight SAE, but the dash 202s seem to fit the final filter bolt on mine. Like @777Jackpot's experience, the o-rings that were supplied with the filters that I purchased did not include o-rings for the bolt. None of my metric o-rings seemed to match the dimensions of the old o-ring and trying to work from the bolt diameter wasn't useful to me either. On the other hand, this isn't exactly a precision fit moving seal.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

87cr250r

I'm sensitized right now. I found two of these o-rings last week. Don't ask what they cost to replace. Differentiating between metric and standard o-rings is very difficult.

1000001784.jpg

2Pbfeet

I'm sensitized right now. I found two of these o-rings last week. Don't ask what they cost to replace. Differentiating between metric and standard o-rings is very difficult.

View attachment 919274
I agree. You are preaching to the choir on that, and sorry for your problems. What is that a photo of?

Don't get me started on hydraulic fitting sizing. I keep a fifteen or sixteen page printout in the shop to help me.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Last edited:

777Jackpot

That is certainly true that the engines aren't straight SAE, but the dash 202s seem to fit the final filter bolt on mine. Like @777Jackpot's experience, the o-rings that were supplied with the filters that I purchased did not include o-rings for the bolt. None of my metric o-rings seemed to match the dimensions of the old o-ring and trying to work from the bolt diameter wasn't useful to me either. On the other hand, this isn't exactly a precision fit moving seal.

All the best,

2Pbfeet
I ordered the filter kit with both O-rings from Green Mountain, we'll see if it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks