• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaks on axles

colyork

noticed that the deuce has started to leak on the pumkins,what is the best axle greese to use and the best way to seal them up?Is there a gasket or will silicone do the trick?any other tips?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to be a little more specific , what area on the diff's are you talking about ? , there is a LOT of places for the gear oil to leak , all of which can be fixed with new seals or gaskets . TM calls for GA grease for the chassis or are you asking about gear lube ?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also check your Axel vents to make sure axeks are not building and holding pressure.
Better yet rum tubing on them up high and get rid of those crappie vents.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What goes wrong with axle vents? Is it that they stick open? How about changing them?
No, they stick closed. The axle housing builds pressure, simply by becoming warm in operation, ambient temperature etc. and then gear lube is forced out through whatever gives way first - usually an axle seal.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
But also just worn out and/or improperly installed seals will cause it also. There was a step by step thread from about 3 or 4 years back showing in pictures how to do it. TM also shows but photos are better than the drawings.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ALL MV's leak some , you have to decide what is excessive . As they say if it's not leaking it's out of something . We are talking gear lube , NOT brake fluid or anti freeze !!! those are a no no ! Pretty much like an old Harley ! LOL not to hijack the tread , but on leaking Harley' s How about the time one of my employees rode his BRAND NEW Harley to work , while is was inside talking it up , I poured some OIL under the engine , ya , I know I can be cruel , :beer:

colyork

this leak is getting bigger more and more grease on the outside.I have had this truck for 12 years this the type of thing that i think can happen to a truck that sits far more than i would like,(put less than 400 miles on it last year).

rustystud

ALL MV's leak some , you have to decide what is excessive . As they say if it's not leaking it's out of something . We are talking gear lube , NOT brake fluid or anti freeze !!! those are a no no ! Pretty much like an old Harley ! LOL not to hijack the tread , but on leaking Harley' s How about the time one of my employees rode his BRAND NEW Harley to work , while is was inside talking it up , I poured some OIL under the engine , ya , I know I can be cruel , :beer:
Your a BAD man ! I say again a BAD man! Of course it was a Harley guy so I guess it's OK !

rustystud

No, they stick closed. The axle housing builds pressure, simply by becoming warm in operation, ambient temperature etc. and then gear lube is forced out through whatever gives way first - usually an axle seal.
You would be amazed how much pressure can build in a hot differential ! I have seen pinion seals literally pushed out of there bores because the axle vent was plugged ! On our buses we check the axle vents every 6,000 miles because of this.
I'm not saying that this is your problem, just saying it could be. More then likely your seal or flange is just worn out . (Grooves in the flange from the seal)

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It comes down to the KISS principle , look for the simple stuff first . I would pressure wash the entire carrier and then you will have a better picture of whats leaking and where . BTW , I Had the NEW Harley guy going nuts looking for a leak , then I had to tell him , he was LESS that amused , go figure ! LOL

rustystud

It comes down to the KISS principle , look for the simple stuff first . I would pressure wash the entire carrier and then you will have a better picture of whats leaking and where . BTW , I Had the NEW Harley guy going nuts looking for a leak , then I had to tell him , he was LESS that amused , go figure ! LOL
That's about as bad as the time I put the coil wire into the number 1 spot on the distributer of a new guys camero he had just bought. It would fire on number 1 so it would seem like it was going to start ! He was also NOT amused when I told him what I had done. I know I'm a BAD man ! a very BAD man !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks