• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaks under Transfer Case

M1009

Noticed a rather large puddle of fluid under the transfer case this morning, had ALL the fluids changed last week, they topped it off - maybe too much?

Any ideas?

rnd-motorsports

The tranfer also uses trans fluid so will not be dif. in color. As for idea I would guess you have a output shaft leak look at the rear output rear drive shaft were it comes out of the transfer case is it all wet if so seal is leaking also the front drive shaft at transfer there is a seal that may leak to check there is two big plugs on the backside pull the one that is up high to check fluid level should be up to the bottom of the hole. if transfer is full check trans level. the output shaft seals are not bad to change just pull the shaft and replace rear seal and front you also have to pull the drive flange on transfer! but still not a real hard job. but dont let go too long as a transfer will not live long with low fluid if you have a 208 at worse case the pump in transfer sometimes will wear a hole in case and leak but not a leak you see very often! I would check level and find out if they just over filled it first!!! [thumbzup]

M1009

No holes in the transfer case, the leak has been there... just not as noticeable before the fluid 's were topped off, I am guessing your right, I will check the seals and replace them. Thank's for advice, I will post the results.

OL AG '89

take pictures duing the replacement, sure this has been documented before, but would like to see how you do and then give us an opinion of dificulty of replacement.

kentuckycucv

I found a puddle under my truck too...it was red. I searched the forum and found this thread. learned a little, put some transmission fluid in my transfer case, took pictures for my fellow newbie friends, and I put a piece of cardboard under my truck to locate my leak.
My pictures show Puddle, Where the filler nut is, how I got it open, and how i got to fill it up. I attached a part of a funnel i bought at walmart... it screwed onto the gallon jug of transmission fluid i bought at walmart. I hope this helps make it easy for you.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks