• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaky fdc?

brianp454

I'm planning to bypass mine and document it step-by-step. My issue now if that the weather here is not cooperating. I'll likely post it in the "turning up the fuel in pictures" sticky thread so it's easy for people to find. Hopefully this weekend...

They cannot be rebuilt. You should bypass it. You don't really need it.

dikwks

Bypass it yes, but put a pyro in first. I bypassed mine and didn't have to mess with the fuel screws at all. Runs strong, but the temps can get away from you quick in 4th and 5th.

Ford Mechanic

Just a little reasoning on why everyone bypasses their FDC

The FDC is not what makes this engine a multi-fuel, the diesign of the internals in the engine is

Bypassing it does not hinder multi-fuel operation, just means you have to hand tune the pump to where you want it after the inital bypass. This is why you need a pyro, after it's bypassed it can be over fueling and run your EGT's too hot.

The biggest reason for bypassing it is they tend to leak diesil into the oil pan with out warning, causing massive bearing damage very quickly.

One more tip for the new guy, from a former new guy..... Proper capatalization is a site requirement.... Just a heads up from some one who had his smacked over it:patracy:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Could you explain what was done to rebuild it? I just by-pass them, so it is all magic as far as I'm concerned. ;)

knuckleheadks

Remove the fuel lines andnunscrew the 4 bolts at the base of the FDC thiss will let you take the entire unit out. Remove the 3 screws on top to remove the pressure cap. Do this carfully as there is a spring beneath the cap. Also he screws are very small and soft so they tend to break off easily especially if a previous owner over tightened them like mine. Once the cap is removed you have acess to the pressure chamber and servo spring and piston. Take the spring out, clean it, and set it aside. Remove the protective cover on the front side of the FDC and remove the needle valve and the adjustment screw. The pressure regulator sdrew at he back of the FDC. You can also remove the piston at this time but its not necissary. Just clean out with parts cleaner then brake cleaner. Reasemble all parts make new gaskets or use a liquid gasket in the top and bottom.

Ford Mechanic

I bypassed mine recently and LOVE the extra power. I'm curious if you turn the fuel down after bypassing yours.
Yeah I turned it down and installed a Pyro. I've finnaly gotten the tune like I want it, I can barely push it too far unloaded. So I have a little more confidence my safe running of the truck. Not all the time can I see the pyro, sunshine over the shoulder kind of makes it unreadable and I'm wanting to clock my steering wheel so the center rung in the wheel isn't blocking it so much. I think I'm going to put it 180* off if it is able to be removed and clocked differently.