• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaky radiator caps

gene

Am on number 2 of the 4 radiator caps I got from OD iron. This one leaks too. Any advice from Devilman or others as to where to get good ones or how to modify so as to minimize chance of leaks. coolant seemed to come from the bottom outside edge on the first one and from the top center button on the second. Is this a common prob, are the ones avail all from china? As always, thanks.

Gene

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you sign off on the radiator cap being the problem, check to make sure that your overflow tube isn't clogged. If it is, the pressure buildup will force the coolant out the rad. cap, replacing the cap won't fix the problem. You can check the overflow tube with a wire coat hanger.

devilman96

Ditto on that... I cut my tube off and put on a rubber hose due to so many bugs loving the neat little steel tubing of a home they kept finding!!!

However if you are having a cap issue please let me know so we can square things!!!

SEAFIRE

One of our M35A2's had a leaky radiator cap. The drain was clear and we ordered a new cap from Boyce that fixed the problem.

The old cap was a different design that had a rubber gasket that only covered the outside rim of the spring loaded thingy, while the new one had a much larger rubber gasket.

Picture of new cap, I'll post a picture of the old cap when I find it.

Attachments

Jake0147

Having recently gone through this, your symptoms sound very familiar. I'd look at the overflow tube. I roto-rootered mine open again, or removal has been mentioned.

The cap seals at the rubber inner layer, against the "shelf" that is about an inch deep in the radiator neck (below the drain tube), but is designed to vent at a given pressure. This vented air/coolant goes to the space above the ribber, below the top of the cap, and is open to the overflow tube. If that tube is open, there can be no pressure in this area. For coolant to leak out the rivet (which does not extend all the way into the pressurized area and therefore is NOT sealed), or around the edge that is visible with the cap installed (which is a bellville spring type arrangement, snug fit but again NOT sealed), there has to be a restriction in the overflow tube that allows less flow than what is coming out of the radiator. Engine temperature (and therefore volume) changes just don't happen that fast, the tube should be adequate to drain that area between the top and bottom of the cap if indeed it is fully open.

SEAFIRE

I agree that the vent tube needs to be clear. But look at this picture of the old cap, compared to the picture of the new cap in my previous post. Our problem was that the cap was leaking by to the vent tube before the engine was even heated up.

Attachments