• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Learning about Military Vehicles

saffy2yrs

I was wondering if there was a place to post about wanting to learn how to work on MVs. I can do basic car stuff on my car, but have not in years. Since I am a tactile/visual learner, I am wondering if it would be safe to post that I am willing to go to someone's house when they are changing the oil; working with Brakes/boots; dealing with fuel filters, and so on to watch and ask questions. It would be a way for me to see what tools are needed, patterns of work (first this, then this finally that) and see if it is something I could do on my own.

I know the TMs are the basic guide and I would need to print out TMs for any specific vehicle I am thinking of owning later, but some things are not easy to learn from reading and diagrams.

Thanks for all Input.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI I am in nor cal if get up here have some MV's im working on,I have 27 yrsin cal guard working on and towing them.
I have 10 yrs at a full time shop too,have TM's for them too have 1 in so cal that needsto get up here also an M818.

Steve

p/s welcome to SS too.

gunboy1656

If you can do basic maintenance then you have a good start, these trucks are meant to be repaired by simple maint. Yes the TM's are good, but I spend hours on hours here reading posts and looking at the pics people post as well as the TM's.

I am sure you can find someone to show you repairs hands on as well.

KsM715

Find a MV Museum. Volunteer to help out. Let them know what you want to do and I bet they would be more than willing to help you out. Just be willing to help them out in return if they ask you help with something other than vehicle maintevery once in awhile. (Like sweeping the floor,or moving displays)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are also quite a few members that have been posting videos of repairs . The problem is unless they have "with video' in the title they can be hard to search for.

saffy2yrs

Find a MV Museum. Volunteer to help out. Let them know what you want to do and I bet they would be more than willing to help you out. Just be willing to help them out in return if they ask you help with something other than vehicle maint every once in awhile. (Like sweeping the floor,or moving displays)
I had not thought of that. I was able to find a museum not too far away and will definitely see what it takes to volunteer there.