• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED auxiliary lighting. 12V or 24v

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some new LED lights on their way. Various sizes but none should pull enough amps to need relays. Will they actually perform differently if they are wired 12 vs. 24 volt? I know they can do both but wonder if they will actually be brighter on 24V?? Just planning switch board.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will not make a difference on brightness either way. The electronics that handle the different voltages are still going to send the same voltage to the diode itself. Run them from the native vehicle voltage. No sense running them through a converter. You're defeating the purpose of the multivolt feature built into the lights.

nykev

Most halfway decent led lights(lightbars, pods, etc.) are rated for 10v-30v so shouldn't be a problem either way. Even the cheapo knockoffs are rated as such. They work that way since anything bigger than a single diode light will have a built in voltage regulator to handle fluctuations. There will be no difference in brightness between 12v and 24v. Also according to the math you wouldn't need as heavy of a wire if wired 24v and you get less voltage drop for a longer wire run.

tobyS

I expect they will be brighter on 24v. Try it directly to the battery where you can go to the 12 or 24 posts.

I have some that I got from China that are straight 24. Also have a few remote control dimmers (either 12 or 24) and a couple manual ones, should you want to control the brightness. They work on pulse width modulation, not varying the voltage and come on at the same level as they went off.

Short (usually down to about 4") can be cut and wired in parallel with a clip on end connection (or if your good at small soldering go direct to the terminals). Also i have a few feet of white or green or red LED in weatherproof if someone wants to try a small project.

In the 5 ton, just a small strip (12" or so) above the dash gauges does wonders for making them readable.

Have fun!

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if i ground the lights to the truck I will only be able to get 12 volts. To get 24v I will have to run the ground wires back to the batteries too.?

tobyS

So if i ground the lights to the truck I will only be able to get 12 volts. To get 24v I will have to run the ground wires back to the batteries too.?
No. The battery's negative (black) is hooked to the frame (ground). Most wires to the switched power (2 12v in series = 24v) are 24v to the ground. But there is a middle wire that does have 12v, I think for the blower. Do you understand how a series and parallel electric circuit works?

LED's will not work on reversed polarity and it can mess up some dimmers if hooked up backwards. Don't do that.

What I was saying is to open the battery box and find the ground side (negative)(black) and put the negative end of your light connected to it, while touching to the opposite (positive)(red) end with the positive wire. First touch the positive terminal directly across from the negative/ground of the battery that you hook to, that's 12 v and then go to the far side (from the ground) of the second battery...in series....it's 24.

It will be easy to see the difference in your lighting hooked to 12 and 24 without having to install a thing. It's most impressive at night.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. The battery's negative (black) is hooked to the frame (ground). Most wires to the switched power (2 12v in series = 24v) are 24v to the ground. But there is a middle wire that does have 12v, I think for the blower. Do you understand how a series and parallel electric circuit works?

LED's will not work on reversed polarity and it can mess up some dimmers if hooked up backwards. Don't do that.

What I was saying is to open the battery box and find the ground side (negative)(black) and put the negative end of your light connected to it, while touching to the opposite (positive)(red) end with the positive wire. First touch the positive terminal directly across from the negative/ground of the battery that you hook to, that's 12 v and then go to the far side (from the ground) of the second battery...in series....it's 24.

It will be easy to see the difference in your lighting hooked to 12 and 24 without having to install a thing. It's most impressive at night.
Yes. I understand series and parallel. Just having a brain fart while at work thinking about playing with truck. This week has been a little quiet since most of our customers lay low. Actually took a couple employees out to lunch... had a beer... Now productivity has gone to yawning and shopping online for truck stuff.

tobyS

You're feeding them too well.

We enjoyed a balmy 11*f high today after -11 last night real temps. I skunked a good box of beer letting it sit outside and get frozen from Christmas eve. Didn't explode.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're feeding them too well.

We enjoyed a balmy 11*f high today after -11 last night real temps. I skunked a good box of beer letting it sit outside and get frozen from Christmas eve. Didn't explode.
Wasting good beer. That's a sin.

tobyS

I prayed for forgiveness...He said it's okay this time but don't let it happen again.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all lights installed. Have run all wires. Was playing with 12V vs 24V hook up. Can not really see a difference in brightness. I know the amp draw will be less on the 24V hook up but ran 12 gauge wire so any draw should be no problem. Some of the online pre wired switch applications look enticing since they come with a lighter plug and usb power outlets but would then maybe require some relays since the switches are pretty basic, were as wired in 24V with self made switch panel I can wire direct. Guess I can do both. Run the lights I have now on 24V and install a 12V panel for phones, gps, and other crap. Exited to get these done as they look like they will light up the freaking airport. Installed a light bar on the the front. One 6" on each side between cab and bed and 2 6" out back. They look nice. Not gaudy. well installed, set back so that don't make the truck look cheesy.
By the way tobys...had to bring my New Years Eve beer stash inside that night since it was in the teens here. Even my garage was questionable so I had to bring it in. But stayed cold even in the box inside all night. Happy New Year!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks