• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Led - dont do this!

Warren Lovell

I replaced my gen light bulbs with LEDs.

If you do this, the generator lights will not go out and the voltage gauge will show in the yellow.

I changed the gen lights back to 194's and problem is gone. According to the electrician, you would have to put in a resister...and the LED bulbs are not noticeably different for the gen lights.

Now I did replace the dash gauge bulbs for the speedo and fuel gauge with the 6 LED bulbs in red and they look fine...just red.

Ken_86gt

As you learned do not do this. Do not even use a resister- it must be the real light bulb. The charging circuit is designed to use the light bulb as part of the sensing circuit to control the output of the alternator. Anything else used in place of the bulb is used at your own risk- you may end up overcharging and doing damage.

hobie237

Yeah, the problem is that the excite circuit, in stock form, runs through the dash lights, which is stupid, because a burned out bulb there means non-charging. Since you have the gauge, though, you don't really need the dash warning lights, and it's easy enough to just dummy rig the excite circuits by putting power to the two prongs on the alternator plug. Then the dash light spaces can be used for more productive things, like actual gauges (oil pressure, fuel pressure, temperature, etc.), or whatever.

notsosanestan

i was wondering how to do this also i want to put gauges in those spots a fellow member on here said he put to 12v lights near the voltage gauge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks