• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Gauge Panel Backlighting Upgrade

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GA Rally is coming up next week, along with the large amount of work to prepare for such an event. I've already put a deal in place for the lenses and am working on the bulbs. I'll start making purchases of these probably around middle of November with kits hopefully completed by the end of the month, barring any hangups.

I would like to get this going earlier but time is not on my side until after the rally. Since this wasn't planned, I'll have to make the best of it with a short breather when I get back. If you're coming to the rally be sure to catch up with me to see what the kit will look like.

In the meantime, I've got a couple more questions.

This is in the M939 forum but this modification will work for other vehicles using the same sockets and lenses. Some vehicles use less lights for the gauges so a smaller kit would be necessary. Would this be something of interest?

Honestly, green is a better light for viewing the gauges. I had planned on only offering green because of this but I'm sure some folks would like red instead. Do I need to make some red kits too?

All feedback is appreciated. I don't have a price point yet. I intend for them to be cheaper than what you can piece a kit together for though.

therooster2001

Green is my vote, if I want red, I'll buy my own LED's. M939 for me, as that's all I have.

Maybe even do a mixed set for Christmas. (Ha)

Seriously, if you need help, I can lend a hand, I did a couple of "runs" for my robot hobby previously.

desmodromic

I'd be in for a green kit for the HMMWV. I actually installed auction site LED bulb/Lens kit on one HMMWV before the listing price jumped. My results with just the LED and lens was mixed, but I think the key is the spacer you have developed.

*edit: Actually, it looks like your good results are from upgrading the bulbs. Thanks for the legwork.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
*edit: Actually, it looks like your good results are from upgrading the bulbs. Thanks for the legwork.
The results are from both. I've actually tried about 8 different LED bulb variations and the Alpinetech end up being the all around best. There are plenty that put out a massive amount of light but heat then becomes the issue.

Having said that, the longer lens is the critical part. None of the bulbs work well without it because the diodes are past the small window of the original lens. A quality bulb is secondary to the lens.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought 5 sets from the bay.
A trip to the hardware store for the spacers and screws. Our local hardware store has small spacers just like the ones mentioned.
Will install next week.

Do not care about green color.
Closer to NVG lighting anyway.

Thank you for the info!!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The screws and spacers have been ordered. Lenses and bulbs will be ordered in a couple of weeks.

The first round of kits will be based off panels using 5 bulbs since I need a constant for my calculations. So I've ordered enough to do 20 kits. Of course some vehicles use less bulbs, so the total amount of kits available will be more than 20. All kits will be green for the first round per the feedback posted. This will simplify things on my end and appears to be what everybody that's posted wants anyways.

To answer a couple of questions asked outside the thread...

As things progress, I'll post updates here. If things come to a screeching halt I'll also post that here.

I won't hazard a guess at prices until I have everything in hand.

You will be using your old lens gaskets. The old gaskets work with the new lenses but you'll need to buy your own if they're in bad shape.

In order to keep this economical on your end and orderly on my end, the only choice for the kits will be quantity of pieces in each kit. I won't sell just lenses or bulbs. Plenty of other places do that.

Thanks for all the feedback! It really helps. I'll get this off the ground as quickly as I can.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can we do mine at the rally?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you got the stuff to do it I'm sure we can fit it in. It's a daytime project though. I did mine by flashlight and dropped 7 spacers behind the dash that rolled into Narnia. I should be pulling up Thursday morning.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know the longer screws and spacers can be found at any good hardware store right?

Bought 5 Military issue LED sets on eBay and the longer screws and spacers at the local Ace hardware store.

Hardware was about $3
There is nothing special about them.

just fyi

wcuhillbilly

You know the longer screws and spacers can be found at any good hardware store right?

Bought 5 Military issue LED sets on eBay and the longer screws and spacers at the local Ace hardware store.

Hardware was about $3
There is nothing special about them.

just fyi
But if I have to source things locally (which btw is a 120 mile drive round trip) or on the internet, doesnt that defeat the purpose of a "Kit" ??????

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screws and spacers can be bought on the internet.
Just like the light kits.

You don't even have to leave the house.

Didnt say the kits were a bad idea. Just that the parts are "usually" just down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks